Fireplace Xtrodinair Elite 44: Will it be worth the initial expense?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimz

Oct 5, 2008
Hudson Valley, NY
Hi all,

Hoping the opinions on this site will help in my decision. I am considering replacing my Tempco (large 44x28 viewing area) ZC fireplace with the FPX Elite 44. I now have 7'x9' floor to ceiling cultured stone with a raised hearth which the dealer tells me will have to come down completely. Due to the size of the Elite, the depth must also be increased a few more inches into the room. The total price quote, which includes demolition, installation of stove and chimney, rebuilding of hearth, and installation of new cultured stone is $16,250.00. My last oil delivery during the summer was $1,850.00 @ $4.27.00 per gallon, this should last toward the end of January. My house is a 3000 + - Sq. Ft. cape with an open 1st floor plan. It is a well insulated 12 year old home. I also have an unlimited supply of free oak firewood on my property as long as I can do the work to cut and split. I tried to get quotes from a few other dealers but two never retuned my phone call, and another came to look at the job and never called back with a price. I am looking forward to your opinions and help.

THANKS

Ouch,16,500 is a lot of money i hope you are getting another quote on that
job.Try northstar in middletown ny a guy at work is having the elite 36
installed this week from them.

Hi Budman,

Thanks for the info on North Star, they didn't show up on the FPX website using my Zip Code, I'm in Dutchess County. I'll give them a try tomorrow. It amazes me that I was only able to get one price quote out of four dealers. I'm hoping North Star will be more professional.

Thanks again!!!

Couple questions. How many gallons on average of oil do you use a year? Are you willing to do the work that is required to run 24/7? Can you post a pic of your current setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.