Fireplace xtrodinair smoking up house!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hdm2002

Sep 13, 2009
Monroe GA
I have just installed a fpx 44 elite sometimes when I open the doors it lets smoke in the house. I don't know what is wrong I always open the damper and wait 30 seconds or so before opening the doors. It does not let smoke in the house every time but it is enough to make the wife a little mad. Does anybody else have this problem or is it just me? What could be the problem I have 24 ft of chimney pipe with no bends in it ? Any help would be appreciated.

The only time it has happened to me is when I go brain dead and forget to dis-engage the Cat (pull lever out). Do you also open the air all the way up before opening?

It could be a slightly negative pressure in the house. Is the house pretty tightly sealed or is this a basement installation?

If the problem is intermittent, see if something that exhausts or uses air from the house is running at the time. This could be a dryer, hw heater, furnace, bathroom fan, etc.

This may sound a little nutty, but before opening the fireplace door, open a nearby window or door first. See if that improves this misbehavio

Thanks BeGreen, My house is not really tightly sealed. It is not a basement install, my cooling ducts are ran up into the attic. I'm not really up on how the draft issue works, could you explain how the window would change the problem. This is my first wood heater and I am not really that experienced with how everything works.

If there is a negative pressure in the room, it can create a small suction when the stove doors are opened. This may not be your situation. Just speculating on what the cause might be if it is intermittent.

Another cause of negative pressure can be a window open on the 2nd floor (if there is one) or an attic door or vent left open. Draft will also be weaker when it is warmer outside.

Opening a window near the stove can help reduce this negative pressure and is an easy test.

For more information this article may be helpful:
http://www.gulland.ca/florida_bungalow_syndrome.htm

Hi - I have a 44 Elite as well and have found that after pulling out CAT and opening air fully, I will slowly open the doors to all the draft to pull up the vent. That seems to ease any smoke into the room.

Good luck.

Me too...I was opening the door to quickly. So, crack the door open an inch or so, let is set a few seconds, then another inch, then a few seconds, etc. until you finally open all the way. Do this til you find the right pattern for smokeless house!

Status
Not open for further replies.