Fireplace Xtrordinair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyc

Apr 1, 2008
rhode island
Hello,
Can anybody shed some light, or have any advice for me about installing a Fireplace Xtrodinair 44 Elite. Is it safe? Should I be concerned about catalytic vs. non cat? Does anybody have one?
Sincerly,
Sammyc

Its safe if you follow the installtion manual to a T

do a search on the site. there are several owners of fireplacex's here. i recently had a problem with short burn times, which was addressed here, and has gotten better. i have a 36 elite. throws out a lot of heat. i would recommend you install the blower fan as far as possible (i think 25ft according to manual). that is the only negative for me. it's fairly noisy, and my unit is in our family/tv room. but it throws a lot of heat. good luck

Thanks for the for the help guys. Any other info would be helpful. Should I consider any other brands besides the 44elite? I've been looking around and this seems like a good deal. Should I be concerned about the cat converter? I'm a carpenter and still trying to figure out how this system works (i think i'm getting it) Thanks again Guys.

sammyc,
I have a FX Elite 44 and I've been very happy with the unit. As njtuna said, try to install the blower away from your primary living areas. I have the blower installed in our basement and the fireplace in the family room so the so we don't notice the noise.

The installation directions are detailed and very easy to follow. As long as you stick to them I don't see where you would have a problem. I had ours set and the chimney installed, I did the rest which wasn't too bad.

I wouldn't be concerned about the cat, ours has held up well. The only bad thing about the cat I can say is be careful cleaning it. The end of last year I soaked it in vinegar/water which cleaned it well but it wasn't good for the insulation/gasket material.

Oh, as far as other similar units I did check out the Regency but the wife didn't like the look of it.

Good Luck,
Y

Y,
thats what i was hoping to hear, I'm building a house in RI and dont want to install something I wont be happy with (at that price) Im not heating all winter but I would like to save on me heating bill. Once again, thanks all for your input.
Sammyc

Status
Not open for further replies.