Fireplaces Have A Place Too!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Here are some pictures of my fireplace. Last year I installed air tight doors, outside combustion air, fire bricks and tried a pellet basket but the pellets were hard to get burning. Sometimes they went out other times they burnt up too fast, so I pretty much gave up on that idea.

This year I installed a 2" thick ceramic baffle I found on E-Bay and bought a cheap iron grate with 4" legs which I cut the rear legs off to give it a slant so the logs stay at the rear under the baffle. This baby really throws the heat and I occasionally see some secondary flames. It's in the single digits outside and inside its 87! Once that masonry heats up it stays warm for hours after the fire dies. I think it burns pretty clean, just a little smoke at start up then nothing but heat waves. I was thinking about some kind of air control but it would probably give me dirty burns and dirty glass. Probably just burn 1 big hot load like a masonry heater, seems like that's all I need.

I won't burn it very often since the Fireview can handle most of the heating load for the house from the basement, but it's nice to have a nice big fire once in awhile and it can handle those over sized pieces that can't fit the stove.

Attachments

• 100_0579.jpg
    100_0579.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 615
  • 100_0580.jpg
    100_0580.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 621
  • 100_0582.jpg
    100_0582.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 616
  • 100_0583.jpg
    100_0583.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 625
Thats a nice fire!

Wood stoves are definately wonderful, but there is something simply more special about a true fire place.

That is a nice example.

pen

I understand what your saying Pen. Like every time I go in a Cracker Barrel, I always ask to be seated close to their fireplace. It's magical.
Beautiful Pictures Todd! Enjoy, my friend......
:)

pen said:
Wood stoves are definately wonderful, but there is something simply more special about a true fire place.

That is a nice example.

pen

I don't know. I was at the MIL's for turkey day and I felt like a Neanderthal having to continually feed wood into the fireplace and not get a lot of heat. My wife even mentioned it to me on the drive home.

Pen, get a stove with window and you will change your mind. I would go nuts it I couldn't watch my secondaries.

This fireplace definitely eats the wood, probably would take more than twice the amount of my stove to heat the house all winter, but it's nice to have a huge flaming heat machine once in awhile. Since I made these improvements the fire lasts longer and the heat generated is fast and furious. I think I may experiment with the air supply to see if I can control it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.