Fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jnthuskers

Dec 7, 2008
East Central Nebraska
My wife and I, are going to be installing at least one and maybe two fireplaces later this spring. One in unfishinished basement and one upstairs, on the main floor. I'm have been looking at the Kozy Heat 234 in the basement and a Z42CD upstairs. It maybe overkill, but I would rather besafe than sorry. I currently have a Heat N Glo gas log upstairs (Ranch House), and I have hated this thing ever since my better half bought it. It is drafty, although it dous throw out some good heat. I would rather saw and split wood, by hand, rather then give any more of money to the gas company. Would appreciate any comments GOOD or BAD. Thanks Jeff

Wow! That 234 is a huge fireplace. Sounds like a big expensive project. I suppose they have to build the masonry around the fireplace? Have you thought of the cheaper alternative of a hearth and wood stove?

Well, actually I have already bought the fireplace. I do plan on doing alot of the work myself, after all I did build this house myself, with some help from my father-in-law. I have a bit of experience in the construction field. Which has paid huge dividens for me. The fireplace cost about $1,500.00 so, my next huge expense is going to be the double or triple wall 10" chimney pipe, that this fireplace calls for.

Good luck, One tip I suggest is to hook up outside combustion air, it will make a big difference. Large fireplaces take up a lot of air and create cold drafts from windows and leaks, out side air will eliminate this.

Status
Not open for further replies.