FireplaceX 44 Screen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BZN

Nov 20, 2016
SW Montana
Newb here with our new FPX 44 Elite. So far we love this thing.

It came with a mesh screen that fits in the opening when the doors are open.
Why would you use this?

Also, I'm trying to figure out the best way to control the fire. I assume the air intake lever is the way and leave the damper open all the time. Am I doing it wrong? Should I also slow the damper?

This is a catalytic fireplace. The bypass damper should only be open at startup and when reloading. After 15-30 minutes when the fire is hot the bypass should be closed (pushed in) to engage the cat. There should be a cat temperature gauge installed with the stove that will show you when the cat is actively in the burn zone. Use the air control to regulate the burn rate.

I'm a little surprised a screen came with the fireplace. Do you have the manual for the FPX44? It's your best starting point for operation of the fireplace.
Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 12.06.15 PM.png

Last edited:
The screen is for when you want to roast marshmallows, weenies, s'mores and have an open fireplace feel. If using it like this I'd open the damper all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.