Fireplacex Xtrodinaire FPX36 Internal Combustion Air??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner73

Jul 22, 2008
NY
For travis FireplaceX owners.

I never truly understood how the FireplaceX uses external air for combustion. From what I can tell, combustion air is designed to come in through the same duct as the "blower" air. I can trace the air path but what I don't get is why wouldn't it just pull air from inside the house. Wouldn't that be the least resistive path for air? If I take a match and hold it in front of the air intake (holes on top of glass) it pulls the flame in from the room.

Also the travis site shows the air is also introduced underneath the unit. I didn't notice evidence of this while burning. I was wondering if anyone else has.

TIA

Fire uses alot of air. As such, for combustion air, using outside air is a much better idea, because where does combustion air end up? It ends up going up your flue. So if you use inside air for combustion, your pulling nice heated ~70 degree air from inside the home and sending it up the flue. That inside air is replaced from leaks in your home (however small), creating negative pressure and sucking in cold air from the outside.
Firebox temps are somewhere in the 1200+ degree range. Using 70 degree air or 10 degree air (a 60 degree difference) makes no difference to fire performance.

The air control (the small amount of air needed to adjust the control of the fire is usally pulled from inside the home. it's not much.

I looked in my stove tonight with a flashlight. Dead center on the bottom there is a small box with about (10) small paperclip diameter sized holes. These are tied into the blower ducting. totally exclusive of the top air control unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.