Firepot design efficiency question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalon

Mar 9, 2011
Northeast US
I've noticed that most pellet stoves have a firepot that follows one of two designs: They either have rectangular shape and have air vented from below for a straight-up flame (such as in an avalon astoria), or they have a circular shape and have air vented in to create a vortex flame (such as in a mt vernon).

Is this just a matter of style, or does one design have a substantial efficiency advantage over the other?

I would appreciate if anyone can enlighten me on this subject.

Attachments

• astoria firepot.jpg
    astoria firepot.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 229
  • circular.jpeg
    circular.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 182
The design may play into the burn characteristicsa little. But has to do with a couple other things also. My Quad has a round burn pot, but it is a better self cleaner than my Englander (Which is a bottom feeder/kinda). A lot of it has to do with the # of holes and there placement. Having 100 holes in a pot wont help much. Especially when most are above the level of the burning pellets. If there are a much fewer amount of holes, then the Pot/Pellets will get more air. All of his can be affected by the Combustion blower, # of holes, location of holes, airwash (leak/air not coming through pot) , Vent set-up (restrictions), etc..

As long as your stove is not burning "Black Sooty" stuff and it getting the window dirty quick and your viynl siding all stained. If its a good grey to light grey/white, then the stove is burning fine and doing the best it can. Keeping a stove clean helps this along also. A dirty/plugged stove, will not breathe as well as a clean/open passages stove....

Jsut my .02.

Status
Not open for further replies.