Firepot Deterioration on New Quadra Fire CB1200i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gobuck said:
I thought the same thing when I saw your pictures.

Does either of yours have the warped metal separated from the drop chute?

That fire pot has been subjected to a reduction atmosphere while burning and it wouldn't really matter what the metal was although I suspect that the metal is likely sub grade for its intended use. Most fire pots rarely see more than 1100 degrees Fahrenheit where as a reduction atmosphere usually results in about 2000 degrees. A high quality cast fire pot should be able to take 3000 degrees.

A reduction situation can be setup by burning too many pellets for the air provided aka improper feed setting (or burning with a lazy flame for prolonged periods), burning a high mineral content pellet, poor vent setup, lack of sufficient combustion air, crudded up combustion air pathways, screwed up control box settings, failing combustion blower motor, bad control board, or any combination of the preceding. No matter the cause the very first step is to clean the bloody stove, its vent and air intake system, then check that the controller is setup for the cb1200 and not another model of quad.

If this unit is in a basement (or first floor of a multistory house), put an OAK on it to remove the natural chimney effect of the house along with any other air movers/suckers(this list also includes the chimney the insert is in if there isn't a proper sealed off block off plate).

My Quad manual states the pot temp can get up to 2000 deg F in normal use.

slls said:
My Quad manual states the pot temp can get up to 2000 deg F in normal use.

That pot is past the 2000 degree point and a cast iron pot is good to 3000 degrees, rarely does the normal fire pot exceed 1100 degrees, a reducing burn usually starts at 2000.

But then given where a lot of the parts come from it may not be what it is supposed to be. Wouldn't be the first time.

I had some wonderful stainless steel items that came from India, took less than a month to start rusting just sitting on a window sill.

My used stove just seems to rust easier than my new stove. The internal materials seem to be inferior metal.

I did not read over the two pages of comments but I say that you are getting way to much moisture in that stove. This is through the liner or through the combustion air intake. If the inside of the cminey is leaking you have issues. It would not be a warranty issue.

Eric

The interior of the stove was rusted when I bought it. The stove is direct vented thru a walkout basement concrete wall. It is next to the door leading outside to my unattached garage. I don't use the stove every day. It is only used when we watch tv in the basement orwhen working on a project. The basement door is our normal entry point into the house. My basement is dry and my gravel driveway is outside the door.

gobuck said:
The interior of the stove was rusted when I bought it.....

And it was brand new?? Why was it rusted?? Just wondering....

No, The stove in my living room was new. The both stoves are the same age but I bought the basement stove a year and 1/2 after my 1st. The 1st owner ordered his the same week that I ordered mine but he got his right away and I had to wait for mine for 3 months. His wife made him get rid of his and my wife would get rid of me before she got rid of the stove.

gobuck said:
No, The stove in my living room was new. The both stoves are the same age but I bought the basement stove a year and 1/2 after my 1st. The 1st owner ordered his the same week that I ordered mine but he got his right away and I had to wait for mine for 3 months. His wife made him get rid of his and my wife would get rid of me before she got rid of the stove.

Sorry. Didnt look at the name. I thought you were the OP RoyA.

My mistake.

Do both of your Classic Bays burn the same and put out the same heat?

I have a buddy with one, bought about the same time and his burns much different and he has a hard time heating a house smaller than mine. Although he is stuck on using the t-stat and letting the stove start and stop 30 times a day. And his cleaning is sub-par (at best/never removed his combustion blower yet!). His heat is nowhere near what mine is....

Anyways. Just wondering if you could see or feel a difference?

Mine heat about the same. I have never removed my combustion blower on either stove but I have cleaned out the trap door on both stoves and vacumed the exhaust venting on both.
I plug my exhaust on the basement stove in the warm months.

Status
Not open for further replies.