FireRock Fireplace - Is this a bad idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bstanford

Mar 17, 2014
North Carolina
I've posted a couple posts, probing different ideas about a wood stove for a new home. I absolutely can't make up my mind what I should do.

A brick-and-mortar fireplace and chimney is pricy, and quotes are all over the place. $10-25k and I would probably put a stove in it.

I like the look of a free-standing stove in an alcove, and I'm ok with a class A pipe, but the minimum clearances, mainly from top of stove to top of alcove is too high. Just look weird, IMO. Not sure how there are so many pics of this out there. Don't know how they get away with this.

So, another option is a FireRock fireplace, and I would probably put my insert or stove in it... but FireRock says not to put an insert in them. "Do not use a fireplace insert or other product not specified for use with a fireplace with the reflective properties of this product." What is meant by reflective properties? And does anyone see an issue with this? In all fairness, the manual does go on to say "Any fireplace insert must be approved, in writing, by FireRock Products, LLC" I've called them about this, but they didn't really seem interested in providing a waiver. I would put my Buck 81 in it.

Many of the pictures are from overseas installations where the construction is all masonry. And others are studio shots with the stove photoshopped in.

I'd suggest looking at some good quality EPA, zero-clearance fireplaces. They have a great look, heat very well, and some have the same firebox as the freestanding stove. Buck makes a ZC version of the model 74. The Pacific Energy FP30 has the Summit firebox. Also look at the fireplaces from RSF & FPX for examples.

I’ve looked at a few and may have to go that route. Can anyone comment on some of the quieter models? Our Buck 81 blower seems a little loud and I bet their zc models use the same fans.

The FP30 on low speed is pretty quiet. Check out the review posts in the RSF forum and in the Pacific Energy forums for the FP30.