Fireside Slumber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotul118

Dec 4, 2013
Western Massachusetts
They really have the life, don't they?

slumber.jpg

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
I might just have to do that! They start underneath the stove and then branch out from there.

By the way- I love the repurposed steel chairs. Very cool touch.

You know, I saw them at a tag sale and knew I just had to have them. I love interesting wrought iron pieces and use iron in some of my sculptural works.

I was shopping around for some log hoop/holder ideas and so much that is out there is uninspired and powder coated crap unless you have the big bucks. It dawned on me that I had a great solution in the chairs and I was only out $4. It's nice when things like that happen and they fit so nicely in the space.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
You know, I saw them at a tag sale and knew I just had to have them. I love interesting wrought iron pieces and use iron in some of my sculptural works.

I was shopping around for some log hoop/holder ideas and so much that is out there is uninspired and powder coated crap unless you have the big bucks. It dawned on me that I had a great solution in the chairs and I was only out $4. It's nice when things like that happen and they fit so nicely in the space.
Well, now we need to see sculpture. (there are at least a few folks here that will be very interested!)

Reactions: Ehouse
I'm scoping out the cabinet off to the side. I have a serious thing for shabby, eclectic cottage stuff...go figure, lol. Love the chairs too...and the cat. I miss having a fur butt or two around, but our current dog has a severe dislike for cats...

Well, it seems as though I found a nice community within a community here! I'll post some of my sculptural pieces at some point in the near future. We should start a "Shabby Cottage Chic" forum! lol

I too have a thing for interesting and eclectic odds and ends. That piece your referring to was a great find on the side of the road in a snow bank a couple years back. It's quite interesting how much I have around my studio space that has been saved from the landfill. One man's trash as they say..

Reactions: PapaDave
I'm scoping out the cabinet off to the side. I have a serious thing for shabby, eclectic cottage stuff...go figure, lol. Love the chairs too...and the cat. I miss having a fur butt or two around, but our current dog has a severe dislike for cats...
BTW, love the fishing on Lake Ontario!

"Shabby Cottage Chic" I'm in! I long for a Bespoke (free standing) kitchen!

That piece your referring to was a great find on the side of the road in a snow bank a couple years back.

Oh, those are my favorite. I have two nice cabinets that were both found while curb shopping, lol. One is a bit shabbier, but it still works. I am going to have to refinish it at some point because the veneer is hopelessly chipped and warped. But I'll put that off for a while longer!

This is it as found

a1.JPG

and about a month later (we have flooring on the subfloor now, and curtains too, lol-this was a few months after we bought this crazy place)

thumbnail41.JPG

The cabinet in the left corner here was also a curb find. I don't have a "before", because pretty much all I had to do was clean it up and remove some contact paper from the glass. (two of the chairs in the pic were curb shopped too, the one at the back was orange with an orange and brown paisley seat-surprisingly the paint has stuck to it pretty well, lol)

11+26+13+323.JPG

Last edited:
"Shabby Cottage Chic" I'm in! I long for a Bespoke (free standing) kitchen!

Oh, me too. I really want an outdoor canning kitchen with an old wood fired cook stove! I don't have the place for one though...our "extra" room is taken up by firewood, lol..

Seeing as how we live in what was a cottage, I fully embraced an ecletic cottage style. After all, it would typically have been furnished with "cast offs" from the "main" house. My eclectic stuff is on ym blog here: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Oh, those are my favorite. I have two nice cabinets that were both found while curb shopping, lol. One is a bit shabbier, but it still works. I am going to have to refinish it at some point because the veneer is hopelessly chipped and warped. But I'll put that off for a while longer!

This is it as found

a1.JPG

and about a month later (we have flooring on the subfloor now, and curtains too, lol-this was a few months after we bought this crazy place)

thumbnail41.JPG

The cabinet in the left corner here was also a curb find. I don't have a "before", because pretty much all I had to do was clean it up and remove some contact paper from the glass. (two of the chairs in the pic were curb shopped too, the one at the back was orange with an orange and brown paisley seat-surprisingly the paint has stuck to it pretty well, lol)

11+26+13+323.JPG

Very nice! I'll have to post some pics when I get a chance. There is something about finding castoffs whether it's road side or at the transfer station, cleaning them up and giving them a new lease on life. There is also something about having an eclectic piece in your space that cost nothing out of pocket and is generally better crafted than what you would find and have to pay for retail.

Here are some of the roadside or transfer station finds.

Hearth1V.jpg
Hearth2V.jpg
scene.jpg

hearth1.jpg
hearth2.jpg
hearth3.jpg
hearth6.jpg
Hearth7.jpg
hearth4.jpg
Here are some of the roadside or transfer station finds.

View attachment 121088 View attachment 121089 View attachment 121090

I don't know if you guys have heard of or been to the Brimfield Flea Market, but it's a great place to see and gather things.

Just a few of my pieces below..I thought I would share some of the latest that just so happen to be mostly wood.

The one bottom left was where form meets function, being that an ugly well head was rearing its head on a focal area coming up the driveway and I took these two milled discards and made an ode to my time out west. I just love locust! It will stay in place there probably for my lifetime. I also used another longer milled section to put in front of the mailbox so the snow plows doesn't take it out. Some of that stuff is just so sculptural on its own. I'll post that one later.

Reactions: Ehouse
Loving the piece that the cat is sitting on! And the one looks like maybe it's an old dry sink? I think because of those handles, I know I've seen them on one before (my grandparents had one with the same type of handles).

This is my most recent find and redo. I ended up selling it though because we don't have room for it.

cottage345.JPG

cottage353.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.