FIRESIDE ULTRA Pellets at HOME DEPOT for $197 per ton. ANY OPINIONS?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandpipe

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2010
Massachusetts
My local Home Depot has FIRESIDE ULTRA pellets for $197per ton but I couldn't find any recent reviews/opinions on Hearth.com. Saving $70 per ton over the Cubex and Okanagan I'm used to using is very tempting but I don't want to be overly disappointed with low heat, excessive ash, or jammed auger problems.

If anyone has used Fireside Ultras from Home Depot lately I'd really appreciate some opinions on their quality vs. premium brands.

I believe those were the one's I used last year, I was satisfied with them and had no problems, used 4 tons.

Tom C.

sandpipe said:
My local Home Depot has FIRESIDE ULTRA pellets for $197per ton but I couldn't find any recent reviews/opinions on Hearth.com. Saving $70 per ton over the Cubex and Okanagan I'm used to using is very tempting but I don't want to be overly disappointed with low heat, excessive ash, or jammed auger problems.

If anyone has used Fireside Ultras from Home Depot lately I'd really appreciate some opinions on their quality vs. premium brands.

I am currently burning FSU bought last year in my Harman P61A. They are ashy and a little dirty but considering what I paid for them they are a good early season pellet. I WOULD NOT buy them for use for the whole season here in New England.

I just burnt a couple of bags and they are decent middle of the road stuff you could save a buck on if you had to. Comparable to the stove chow brand(made by the same maker = Energex).

I burned 6 bags for $3.96 a bag, I liked them.

Grab all you can get at that price! I got 2 tons and love'em

First year pellet burner. Bought 3 tons from HD when I bought the 10-CPM. I haven't had the opportunity to test against any other pellets but I've noticed: Air out put at center heat exchanger is 195 at a 9/9 setting after changing the bottom three button settings as recommended here. We've only burned 15 bags since stove was installed 11/10 and the weather has been pretty warm. I've vacuumed out the stove each Sunday since and didn't notice an abnormal amount of ash - but I have nothing to compare that with. I'm going to start experimenting with other brands but can't say I'm not satisfied with the FSU. Used a Lowes 10% coupon and had the 3 tons delivered for $597. in my garage.

Thanks all, for the feedback on the Fireside Ultra pellets. I see mixed reviews here so far. I'd say the consensus is that they are okay for the price but they don't compare to premium pellets such as Cubex or Okanagan (which I'm used to using). I like high heat output and low ash so in the long run these Fireside pellets probably don't turn out to be as cheap as they first appear.

I'm going to do a bit more checking on availability around here and see what to get in the higher end pellet dept. My local supplier is all out of Cubex but still has Okanagan. I may go with the Okangagans but I have one more place to check out to see what the have to offer before I start loading up for the winter.

I'd give the Firesides a 7/10 and the Okies a 9/10 - to give you a quick comparison. I remember the Fireside as a little dirty and ashy, but hot. Haven't burned either, yet, this year though.

(I am not sure what pellet would get a 10/10 but I think maybe they'd need to be self stacking and ash-less)

Im burning them right now! I like them low fines and burn great for the money! I would also get some other super premium for coldest months but for the $ buy buy buy

Status
Not open for further replies.