Fireside Ultra Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

www_godzilla

Oct 24, 2008
Portland,Maine
This is my 1st bag of these pellets. So far very little ash. They don't seem to be burning very hot. The pellets are small,most around 3/4-1 inch long. they are are a dark color. I think these are hardwood too. I have heard that these pellets come hardwood/softwood mix. These look very dark to me. So far I am pleased with them. I still think I will buy the LG Granules from pelletsales.com this spring. I hear those are awesome pellets. It depends on what part of the country you are from and the availability of pellets for you.

I picked up a bag at HD this week just to try and I'm burning them as I type. So far, good heat but a bit ashey. All the pellets seem to be about a quarter of an inch or so. These are definitely the the smallest length pellets I've ever burned. Based on this burn, I would buy a ton if I could get them in the 200-225 range. They are currently $299 at the local HD.

I guess this goes to show how pellets burn differently in various stoves. I am also burning my first bag of FSU as I type. My opinion up to this point is a combination of the first to posts. Now granted it is too early to really tell, but it looks as though the heat is lower but I am seeing more ash, but not a crazy amount. I am going to adjust my feed rate and see where that takes me.

[EDIT] - BTW- I am finding it annoying that the manufacturer does not state on the bag what type or kind of wood it is (hard, soft, mixed, etc.). I like to know what I am burning so I can form better opinions and know what works best in my stove.

Burned 1 ton of Fireside Ultras. They are great on days above 25 and even better on days above 30.For night in the 20s to teens HORRIBLE.
Also cleaning is a must evry 3rd day,by the 4th day stove not running that great. Ash varies from med to rock like on burnpot lip.Not many clinkers though.
These would be a cheap alternative but at 300 a ton I would buy Hammers,Lignetics.
This is a problem I am seeing in my short pellt history. All these stores sell all pellets on the same scale all 300 a ton or all the same price. I bought a few bags of Big heat and the same place I bought Lignetics.The Big heat same price. They are by far the worst.Soft Pellet TONS OF FINES from the top of the bag to the bottom,Yet still selling at a Premium price not even in the same ball park with Lignetics or Hammers or any other Great Pellet.The problem is stove owners are desperate, retailers and Manf. Know it and we tend to buy crap at a high price. Until we as a consumer start to boycot these garbage brands this will continue. Sure any of us would buy these other brands if the price was at a discount. Just think about it would you go to McDonalds and pay 8 bucks for a burger? Heck no but you would go to that place that sells Fresh Ground Angus burgers for 8 bucks.

What a difference a year makes. Here is a post from Feb 08 ABOUT FIRESIDE ULTRAS

Posted: 04 February 2008 09:24 PM [ Report ] [ Ignore ] [ # 30 ]

Fire Honor Society

Western NY
Total Posts: 89
Joined 2008-01-15 Been about 4 days I have been burning them. Heat is good but not great. Average ash, no real clinkers. For $180 a ton I am pleased

codebum said:
I guess this goes to show how pellets burn differently in various stoves. I am also burning my first bag of FSU as I type. My opinion up to this point is a combination of the first to posts. Now granted it is too early to really tell, but it looks as though the heat is lower but I am seeing more ash, but not a crazy amount. I am going to adjust my feed rate and see where that takes me.

[EDIT] - BTW- I am finding it annoying that the manufacturer does not state on the bag what type or kind of wood it is (hard, soft, mixed, etc.). I like to know what I am burning so I can form better opinions and know what works best in my stove.

Did some research for you...... Fireside Ultra Premium Softwood 8,700 BTU .39% Ash

The back of the bag has more info than most.. 1% ASH .5 FINES They even tell you the sodium content LESS THAN 300 PPM But they just say product wood

tkrock:

Did some research for you...... Fireside Ultra Premium Softwood 8,700 BTU .39% Ash

Thanks for the info! I am surprised to see that they are softwood, but it makes sense given they way they burn with my past experiences. Their color is fairly dark with almost a greenish tint. Proves my point I made in another thread, that you can't determine that a pellet is softwood or hardwood by it's color.

Investor7952:
The back of the bag has more info than most...

Yes there is a lot of verbiage on the bag but most of it is sales pitch and general jargon. Even their PFI stamp does not indicate "moisture level" or "Material". For material they state "wood". Go figure, their pellets are made of wood...all wood pellets are mode of wood. If you ever see anything else list there Don't buy them. What should be there is the notation that they are apparently softwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.