1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Fireside ultra pellets

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by sawdust1, Sep 17, 2012.

1. sawdust1

sawdust1 Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    Home depot in Wilbraham MA has these for 209.00 a ton. Has anyone used this brand and if so are they any good?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    I like them....for 209 I would buy them for sure .....maybe grab a couple bags and see how they burn
  3. Cowdogz

Cowdogz Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    After two bags, I would have clinkers the size of hockey pucks.
  4. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Try a couple of bags and make your own decision. You also might want to delete the double post.
    Cowdogz likes this.
  5. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine

I've never burned them, but they're rated higher on here than some. And every stove is different.
  6. Bigjim13

Bigjim13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Vermont
    Went pellet shopping today, stopped at HD fully expecting freedom fuel. They had firesides for $209 also. Never burned them but at that price plus a flat $65 delivery fee, u have 4 tons on the way. $901 total and my heating season is taken care of.

My Harman isn't to picky!
  7. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Mass & Lakes Region of Maine
    I had good luck with Firesides in my Harman as well. They must be pretty popular in Maine as the HD in Windham has a 65 ton waiting list for them.
  8. gbreda

gbreda Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    After the positive comments I've seen latey, picked up 2 bags last weekend to try out. HD @ 209/ton.

Nope, not burning yet, so they will have to wait a little bit.
  9. wayoutthere007

wayoutthere007 Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Too funny. I called HD today to see where I was on the list and was told I was second. FWIW, my Harman P38 loves them. Be sure to pick up a Lowes 10% off coupon at any Post Office (change of address packets) and it'll drive the price down nicely.
  10. wilburg

wilburg Member

Loc:
    Western Mass
    I used firesides all winter last year.. Worked fine for me! When I buy from HD I use their rental truck... It's free for purchases over $100
  11. sawdust1

sawdust1 Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    Thanks everyone for the info. And sorry about the double post.
  12. wayoutthere007

wayoutthere007 Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    HD in Windham doesn't allow their rental truck to be used to transport pellets. At least that's what they told me.
  13. wilburg

wilburg Member

Loc:
    Western Mass
    I would talk to the manager
  14. Cowdogz

Cowdogz Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    HD in SoPo has Green Supreme, which are apparently NEWPs, which were way better in my stove than Firesides. $197.
  15. wayoutthere007

wayoutthere007 Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    You're the first person that's said that Green Supremes are better than Firesides. You work for HD?
  16. wayoutthere007

wayoutthere007 Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Also, HomeDepot called last night (3rd time now) to try and tell me that I should just come pick up the NEWP's because they have 100ton of them and no Fireside Ultra's for the immediate future. She told me that Biddeford has them but they don't ship store-to-store anymore. Nice.
  17. Cowdogz

Cowdogz Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine

Let me re-phrase: The NEWPs were better in my stove than the Firesides. I haven't actually tried Green Supreme, but if they really are the same pellet as the NEWP, then I would expect the same result.
  18. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Jeffery NEWP's are pretty good. I'm betting the GS's are made at the other NEWP mills. Quality isn't as good IMHO.

But what do I know anyway! ;em
  19. midfielder

midfielder Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NH
    Dunno, but I live in NH not far from the Jaffery plant. I've burned newps, warm front, and greene supremes, locally purchased, and all from Jaffery, and IMHO, they're all the same and mediocre. Now, I've never burned any from the other plants so I have no comparisons...
  20. wayoutthere007

wayoutthere007 Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Update: So, HD called me last week and said they'd be getting in some Fireside Ultras so they can take care of the pre-buy list that requested that brand. They said that they would be trucking them up from another store (I'm guessing Biddeford). I called today and they said they haven't gotten them yet and the vendor is "far behind". Darn. Still getting the run-a-round.
  21. wayoutthere007

wayoutthere007 Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Update: Talke to HD on Saturday and they said they weren't getting any Fireside Ultra pellets in Windham for the foreseeable future. All purchase orders in the system look to be for NEWP's and Green Supreme. Dang. So, now my only options are to take the GS or drive to Biddeford and truck Fireside's up. Oh, if I choose to go to another HD store, I'll need to get a refund at the Windham store and re-purchase them at the store I get them from. No inter-store swaps. Nice. How's that for customer service.