Fireside Ultra wood pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigger

Burning Hunk
Jan 1, 2014
Wareham,Ma.
I've been able to burn Fireside Ultras most of the winter because the HD I go to has over 150 sitting on their deck. I know they have other shipments that are suppose to come in. But the probably cancelled the orders. Any way. Every ad that I've seen for Firesides shows that they are made from 100% hardwood.. I have a very small storage area I can keep pellets in. So about once a month I will pick some up. After I unloaded my truck I opened a bag because my stove was getting low.. So I opened it to my surprise. The pellets are yellow like pine. I filled my bucket and went into the house and scooped some out of the hopper and put a hand full on top. There is a big difference in color. Don't know if they are bagging what they can get or what.

As you can see there is a difference.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 339
Reactions: bogieb
Hmm, the FSU's I always get are lighter in color. Maybe they were bagged at the other facility? I believe there is one in PA and another in Canada. Mind come from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. easy enough to compare the two bags to see if that is the case.

I went out and took photos of both bar codes and the bags side by side and they are identical

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 268
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 247
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 439
Reactions: bogieb
I was always told that the FSU`s were a blend. There are a few threads on here about them.
One member ( see below) contacted the energex sales and confirmed the blend in the FSU pellet and get inconsistent blend due to raw material availability.
I have been burning this brand since late 2012 and have seen very dark to very light. Last year I had three pallets of the light colored pellet that burned very hot. this years dark color not so much.
20868.jpg
UMainah
Expand Collapse

Loc:
Bangor, ME
I contacted Energex to put the Fireside Ultra = 100% Softwood claims to rest.
My email:
[email protected]
Hi,
I was wondering about what percentage hardwood & softwood Fireside Ultras are?
Thanks!
- Dan
The response:
[email protected]
Good morning Dan!
The blend is always changing based on the raw materials we receive, however, on average it is a 60% Softwood – 40% Hardwood blend.
Thank you,
Ryan Russler
Sales and Marketing Manager
Maybe Pellet King bought a batch that happened to have higher softwood then average

I went out and took photos of both bar codes and the bags side by side and they are identical
Look at the address on the back of the bag. Boo Boo's explanation is probably the right one, but you never know.

I did look at the address on the bags and they are the same.
Well, there you go - Boo Boo's explanation nails it then.

Last year I had three pallets of the light colored pellet that burned very hot. this years dark color not so much.

This is weird - I've been getting light colored FSU's this year. Get them in Concord, so maybe we get them at different places.

Hmm. I've been to the Wareham HD and they have been selling Themaglo and Green Supreme all winter, or that's what they had out. Same in Plymouth. Where did you get FSU from Jigger ?

Currently burning TSC which are very hot compared to either of the other two brands.

Hmm. I've been to the Wareham HD and they have been selling Themaglo and Green Supreme all winter, or that's what they had out. Same in Plymouth. Where did you get FSU from Jigger ?

Currently burning TSC which are very hot compared to either of the other two brands.
I got them from the Wareham HD. Inside they have both Therma glow and Fireside. Out side there are 2 areas of pellets. One is in black bags the other is white. The white ones are the Fireside. Been going there most of the season. Except for once when I went to Lowes and that was because they were selling Inferno Gold.

Have you been in there recently ? The last two times I went there they had Thermaglo, two pallets wide inside. That was in Dec. a couple of weeks before Christmas. So I went to TSC.

How are you getting that info from their site ? All I get is 68 pallets of premium wood pellets. No brand. I changed store from Plymouth to Wareham. Plymouth showed Timber Wood or some such thing, which I seriously doubt that's what they actually have, they have been notoriously off on brand and count all winter.

When I looked at their site yesterday morning it said 80 ton. More then likely they hadn't update in a few days. As far as what's in the bags. Let's just say I did a little investigative work one morning.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Status
Not open for further replies.