Fireside Ultra?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRA

Feeling the Heat
Nov 24, 2014
north shore ma
Are these pellets any good...Local home depot has them at 5.19 a bag.

That's what I'm burning this year. Very low ash

Heat is ok. Their not blazers for sure but hold their own. It was 7f last night and I bumped the fed up to 4. That seems higher then the Maine woods soft from last year but a LOT cleaner burning.

I think they are pretty good. My St. Croix likes the FSU's a lot better than anything else I've given it this year. Granted, I don't burn premium stuff, but these have been low ash and low clinker for me.

I actually like them a lot. They are a little ashy for me, but they don't build up in the pot at all! Heat is above average to good.

They hit the sweet spot between quality and price. They do vary from year to year and pallet to to pallet. I'm burning a few bags from last year and the ash is coarse and grainy compared to this years stash. They must vary the species of wood they use as raw material. They all heat the place just fine.

Third year burning them and as said above quality and price. my stove loves them

Plenty of heat which is the name of the game but bring higher maintenance than some pellets in terms of ash and clinkers. If you get them at a good price, they are worth it.

The two most important things I like for in a pellet are, 1. Obviously good heat output. 2. Whether or not they build up in the pot. Now of course ash content and other factors are important, but those are my two important. I don't have to scrape the burn grate often at all with the FSU, maybe every other day.

Previous years of FSUs had good heat, but sometimes built up a little in the pot depending on the batch. Average ash. I liked them enough that I bought some this year, but have not burned any yet. Try em out.

FSU's are 1 of Home depot's better pellets.....along with Stove chows for heat output
BUT, Less Ash than chows..... for ther price? can't go wrong...
I bought 35 bags of Blazers few weeks ago at HD for same price as the above pellets. 5.16 Bag.

Don't think that will happen again but hope so unless some HD Bigwig lost his job on that pellet buy..
Douglas Fir all the way from Oregon at the same prices as the other stuff.??

I find that FSUs burn plenty hot, but ashier. My reference are Blazers and LGs.

Everyone is reporting that FSU are quite good this year. HD just had them in last month but I didn't need pellets so have not tried this years. Right now they have Green Supreme, to which my experience with them is about the same as last years FSU . If you ever have Blazer or American Wood Fiber Pure White Pine show up at your HD grab some of them and find out what clean burning high heat pellets are about. Or go look for some Okanagan Douglas Fir with .2% ash.

And yes, Maine Woods Blend , IMO, burn a little hotter than FSU for about the same ash.. These are not low ash pellets by my view, my Harman tolerates them fine but the ones I mention above are truly low ash pellets.

Are these pellets any good...Local home depot has them at 5.19 a bag.
FSU is the only pellet I burn. The price is always better than other comparable brands. There's good heat and ash, along with all the other stuff that any pellet brings to the table, when burning them. It's been my only pellet for 6 years now. I only burn Eastern Embers in my stove in Canada; very comparable to FSU. But like everything else north of the border, way more expensive.

By the way, if anyone is looking for FSU's in southern NH, both Concord and ManchVegas HD's have them.

I just tried 2 bags of F- Ultras. No heat, burned fine but worst pellet I've tried this year as far as heat goes.
Interesting how certain pellets suck in certain stoves and do great in others...
btw:
helps others to post the type of stove your burning in..
Welcome to the Forum..

FSU prints the month and year of manufacture on the upper portion of the label. The top LEFT IIRC. All of the ones I burned this year are dated either 8/14 or 9/14.

FSU prints the month and year of manufacture on the upper portion of the label. The top LEFT IIRC. All of the ones I burned this year are dated either 8/14 or 9/14.

Just checked and mine are 9/14

The ton I bought is from 9/14. I bought 15 bags from the 8/14 batch. Seems to be from the same raw material.

Status
Not open for further replies.