Fireside ultra's....hard/soft blend?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEMI

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2009
connecticut
picked up another bag of these to try in the new stove....this bag had a mixture of dark and light (as light as spruce points) pellets.....the last bag i had wasn't like this or maybe i missed it......so my question is are these a blend?.....i didn't notice anything on the bag saying they were.

i think the FS ultra are hardwood if i remember correctly, bid box stores like HD never sell softwood pellets that i recall, i could be wrong though...

I'll check my FS Ultra's when I get home but I thought I remember somewhere reading they were a "blend"

I burned 1 bag of these about a month ago. I remember them all being dark (the darkest pellet I've burnt). Don't recall seeing any lighter colered pellets.

I checked the info on a bag of pellets after I reloaded my stove this morning and there is nothing that I could find on the bag that said whether the pellets were made from soft, hard or a combination of both woods. This is the first experience I've had with pellets so I wouldn't know a dark one from a light one.

I do plan on trying a few different manufacturers as I get the cash but right now, I'm concentrating on getting a generator for the house, just in case...after last year's ice storm, I don't want to take a chance. Fortunately, we had the coal stove so we had heat, but now, with the pellet stove, we'll definitely need a backup power source. We were out of power for 8 days last year...There's no backup power supply that will give me that much power for that long. Plus with a 5KW generator, I can power alot more in the house than just then stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.