Firestarter Source in NH?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2009
New England / S. NH
I have run out of fire starters and am unable to locate more. Does anyone know who still has any? (The ones from Lowe's as recommended here were low cost and very effective, but are all sold out. Lowe's and Tractor Supply now have lawn furniture on display, but I just plowed yesterday's snow and it will be awhile before i think about buying a new patio umbrella!)

;-)

The attached photo is some homemade fire starters made by rolling saw dust and small twigs in newspapers – sort of a larger scale version of hand rolled cigarettes like some rolled in the 70’s…

;-)

PS: I keep getting an error when uploading the image: Error Message: The filetype you are attempting to upload is not allowed
Allowed Filetypes: image, so I have a JPEG resized down to 80x110 pixels, 1" x 1". We'll see if it lets me do that... Nope... I give up! Guess I am not allowed to post photos!

There is an announcement on top of the Hearth Forum that tells you how to do pics.

As for starters, I would suggest not hitting the big stores and trying small hardware stores. Other than that, buy some super cedars on line.

I would just use a few pieces of paper or cardboard and some kindling. Either gather some kindling from outside or split some of your wood up very small.

I use the lightning nuggets with a 1" pvc pipe cutter to split them in half. I get a box of 100 for $25 at our local stove shop and make 200. I know it doesn't help you now, but maybe it will down the road.

Dunno what software you're using for your pics, but if it's Photoshop, you need to resize the thing to about 750 pixels max on the longest side, then click on "Save for Web", rather than just "Save". Give it a name, and you should be good.

As far as firestarters go, I use Super Cedars and love them. A disc about the size of a hockey puck divided into quarters is how I use them. 1/4 of a puck with a few sticks of kindling and I'm off to the races. More info at:

http://www.supercedar.com/

Drop them an e-mail with your name & address, mention that you're a member here at Hearth.com, and they'll send you a couple of free samples. Rick

You can get some duraflame or other brand fireplace logs and cut them into chunks. The SuperCedars guy sent me a free trial - they work really well. I have a local source of woodworking scraps, which are great.

i use Superceders but i did see fire starters at BJs and at walmart

Thanks to all who replied. I did spot some of the 'wax and sawdust' brick firestarters at Wal-Mart, but they were $10 for 24, significantly more than earlier this season at Lowes. Guess I'll be gathering another tractor load of low hanging dead pine tree branches...

I use Firestarter Gel from Walmart. Looks and even smells like shampoo. Burns with no odor. Alcohol based. Squirt some under the kindling and starts my fire easily and quickly.

I live in central NH and buy the Rutland 144 to a box wax and sawdust ones for ~$12.00 at Tractor Supply. I just got some a week ago. You might try there.

Status
Not open for further replies.