firestarters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stockdoct

Oct 19, 2008
ilinois
I hate newspaper

It doesnt seem to work, even in large amounts to get the starter-tinder lit, let alone the smaller pieces of wood and it makes a mess with lots of ash and debris in the stove. I much prefer firestarters --- for my FIREPLACE.

But my fireplace is no more, and I love my new Lopi Freedom fireplace insert. So I ask you all --- can you use fireplace starters in your wood-burning insert? I generally took a commercial firestarter (2" x 6") and cut it into thirds. only a 2" x 2" piece will start a good fire with good kindling.

Can I make my own? After cutting an entire cord of wood with my "gay-saw" https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/27266/
I have a box of sawdust measuring 10" x 12 " x 10". With melted paraffin, sawdust and ice cube trays, has anyone tried to make their own firestarters? I'd like to try, but I'm not sure what "binder" is OK burning in a wood stove without stovepipe buildup.

Mike

I use egg cartons. Fill the spots where the eggs were with sawdust then pour melted wax over the whole thing. 12 nice little fire starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.