Firestarters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Battenkiller said:
I make my own fire starters. They're similar to SuperCedars except I use pine sawdust. I call them "PowerPines". :cheese:

I have an old stainless steel 3-quart saucepan that the handle fell off. I put it on the stove and put in a pound of canning wax (I have a lifetime supply). While it is melting, I fill a 9x9" disposable aluminum baking pan to the brim with dry pine sawdust. When it is melted and good and hot (do not walk away from this), I grab the pan off the stove and use a stick to mix in the sawdust. After it is thoroughly mixed, I use a piece of plywood the same size as the pan and pack it down good to get as much air as I can out of it (actually, I stand on the plywood).

When is has cooled, the whole block will just pop out of the pan. I then use an old 12" butcher knife to cut the block into squares about 1 1/2" wide. They work just about as good as a quarter of a SuperCedar.

Oh... I use a "strike anywhere" match to light them.

I also make my own firestarters with egg cartons, wood shavings, and old wax. I find that they work better than any of the commercially available brands. I have tried sawdust, but find the planer shavings from my woodshop work the best....coarser and are easier to light. I never use kindling anymore.....one firestarter will start my smaller splits (2-3" in diameter) easily. My only problem is finding cheap wax. Have posted want ads on Craigslist, but no luck. bob

She has the firestarters. She just wants to know what to light'em with that doesn't whack the environment or burn her fingers.

BrotherBart said:
Thermite grenade. No waste left.

Not a good idea for someone with an ex :lol:

In conclusion, when I was in retail hell yesterday I did zip by the dollar store and pick up a plastic long necked lighter. I don't like to shop so I just usually see them at the hardware store or the grocery store for $3-4. Thanks for the tip. Ultimately I'm on the lookout for a decent refillable jobbie.

BK I like that power pine recipe.

Homebrewz, I'd love to brew my own. My brother does that. Just not much time. In the meantime I'm enjoying some peach brandy that my farmer friend crafted with an old timey appalachian recipe. Nice Christmas gift.

I always got by with a BIC until I started to use the long barbeque ones for a kerosun heater.
We always have a bunch of them around now for the stove, smoker, camper, barby, campfires, incense, and especially getting down into a candle.
I've become happily dependent on them. They make great stocking stuffers.

All I wanted for christmas was another thread on how to start a fire with pine cones. Scrooge! :lol:

I make mine from paraffin and sawdust thats compressed and cut into discs. That paraffin block in the picture is around 20 pounds. I get an unlimited supply from work, but it lasts quite some time. They burn around a 1/2 hour and burn hot.

Attachments

• firestarters.jpg
    firestarters.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 212
laynes69 said:
I make mine from paraffin and sawdust thats compressed and cut into discs. That paraffin block in the picture is around 20 pounds. I get an unlimited supply from work, but it lasts quite some time. They burn around a 1/2 hour and burn hot.

I wonder if I used leftover Yankee candle wax that I could get the same results as what you do.

laynes69 said:

Highest quality home made fire starters I've ever seen. I thought I was getting ahead of my time with a pine cone wrapped in newspaper and a little bit of wax. Haha.

"In the meantime I’m enjoying some peach brandy that my farmer friend crafted with an old timey appalachian recipe."

I like your style, Kathleen. I notice you posted that at 8:51 a.m.!

We have some old wooden matches (maybe 10 inches in length) that don't strike anymore. I light those with a bic lighter and then touch them to a SuperCedar.

Status
Not open for further replies.