FIretruck! My 3 year old sons fantasy come true...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharkin

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Holliston, MA USA
Fire truck broke down right in front of the house. He got a personal 1 on 1 tour of the cab and got to watch all the action as it got towed.

2014-08-03 14.56.39.jpg 2014-08-03 14.59.40.jpg

I missed the acutal breakdown as I was out, but my wife called me and said there must have been a big fire up the street, 3 or 4 engines went by then they heard a bang loud enough to shake the house. She ran outside and saw "parts hanging off and fluids leaking everywhere".

When I got home I talked to the driver. Seems this engine is the oldest one in the department, 1990 or so, and was going to be sold off soon. Looks like what happened is the frame rusted through where some of the locating arms for the rear suspension mount allowing the axle to twist pulling the driveshaft out of the trans. I could see the splined end of the driveshaft hanging down and all the fluid was transmission oil that leaked out when it dropped.

We have a tow company with a heavy truck wrecker in town but due to damage they had to wait a few hours for an outfit with a flatbed to drive out here from Sturbridge MA. As I type this they are still cleaning up the street.

My son still hasn't stop talking about it......

Boys and trucks. My boys even loved the garbage truck when it came down the street 15 yrs ago. It made their morning!

Reactions: 7acres
Boy I'll bet that made his day. My son would have been glued to the scene when he as 3 too. We got a tour of the station and trucks around that age.

Yeah our FD and PD both have open houses at our annual town day and he has gotten the tour before... one of the firemen even lifted him up onto the ladder truck platform at the last one (they let some of the teens actually climb the ladder). This time was extra special though as he got the 1on1 attention and didn't have to wait in line with a hundred other kids :)

check with your local VFD many of them will take a few minutes to show a kid around the trucks.
Yeah, we've stopped by two fire departments, when we've seen doors open and people milling about. Each time, I was just hoping my kid could see the outside of one of the trucks, but both times someone invited him in and let him sit in the truck. One time, they let him operate the siren, and pull some other switches/levers.

Since their Dad has been a fire fighter for close to 25 years, my kids have had many opportunities to check out the trucks. The big deal was they got to ride in the truck for the Santa Claus parade... even got to take a couple of friends along. One boy never lost that fascination with those trucks and now drives one for a living... He is so like his Dad :)

Our big chuckle is the truck in one Winnipeg station that has a special "rider" on the front - Spiderman!

I know of few fire departments -- volunteer, paid call or full-time -- that wouldn't welcome any child (or adult) who stops in looking for a quick tour . . . regardless of the time of year or even day. Heck, we hosted a girl scout troop at 9 or so at night a few weeks back as they were doing a tour/badge where they met folks who work the overnight -- guys said the tour was one of the best they've had as the girls asked a lot of good questions.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
When I was a kid we had to walk into town to go to the movie theater. A regular route was into the fire hall, up the stairs, slide down the pole and head over to the movie.

Reactions: Brew and NitroDave
I know of few fire departments -- volunteer, paid call or full-time -- that wouldn't welcome any child (or adult) who stops in looking for a quick tour . . . regardless of the time of year or even day. Heck, we hosted a girl scout troop at 9 or so at night a few weeks back as they were doing a tour/badge where they met folks who work the overnight -- guys said the tour was one of the best they've had as the girls asked a lot of good questions.

that's why all the kids love you guys! (other than that you guys get to drive the coolest vehicles on the block);)

you guys are the best

My father was one of the charter members of our little local VFD. There has been at least one member of my family involved with that department ever since (including me for 8 years). My brother in law is now the chief of the 3 station district. My brother is one of 3 captains in a medium sized city close by. I guess running into fires is in our blood.;lol

Kids and firetrucks - what else can be said other than Coooool.

Status
Not open for further replies.