Fireview and DVl Stove Adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timusp40

Feeling the Heat
Feb 3, 2010
Lake Orion, Michigan
This must be Stove Adapter Day. Having just read Todd 2's thread. Here is my issue.
Just opened the box for the same part DuraVent DVL 8680 Stove Adapter. The crimped end is too long for the rear exit on my Fireview. The length of the flue exit on the stove is around 5/8" but the adapter is around 2" deep. Thinking of just trimming back the adapter to where it seats tight on the flue exit and then adding screws. I know there are a lot of Fireview owners out there. Has anyone had the same problem? I want to keep the DVL pipe system for clearance issues.

IMG_20130915_071950_598.jpg IMG_20130915_071900_768.jpg

It's a little tough to understand your issue. I will guess that what happens is that the outer shell of the adapter bonks into the exterior of the stove before the inner shell of the adapter gets tight?

Not sure why you need this Tim.

High Beam, Backwoods,
I got a quick reply from Woodstock (would not expect less) and from Duravent. Woodstock sells Selkirk pipe who offers a special double wall apapter that fits the flue outlet of the Fireview. Duravent has the same product, but it does not fit the Fireview without modification. The tech at Duravent said to simply trim the outer pipe back to the point where the crimped inner pipe is seated in the Fireview flue. I did this tonight and the adapter now fits nice and tight in the flue opening.

Yes High Beam that was the issue.
Dennis, I am using a double wall set up because of clearance issues. If I error on the side of caution, it will only give me peace of mind.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Sounds good Tim. For sure I can understand that peace of mind. In your first year, you need that for sure.

So, since this is not a vertical install, are you also able to screw that adapter into the cast iron flue collar? I've always wondered how folks did this on rear vent stoves using double wall. Seems that without screws, it would fall out.

So, since this is not a vertical install, are you also able to screw that adapter into the cast iron flue collar? I've always wondered how folks did this on rear vent stoves using double wall. Seems that without screws, it would fall out.

Screws for sure. The flue collar has holes in it already. I'll also add a thin layer of cement around the inside end of the flue collar after I test fit the entire set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.