Fireview cooktop temperatures anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
I bought the cooktops (2) for my stove. I have thus far not been using them as I wanted to get a feel for the stove as stock configured first and haven't been burning enough to cook anyway. Now that it looks to be closer to that season I am wondering if anyone can tell me about the stovetop temps with these stones vs without. I realize that at a minimum it will take some more time for them to get up to temp just due to the mass of soapstone, but if the stovetop is running a set temperature without the stones in place (say 400*) will these get to the same 400* after a period of time or will they for some reason run at a lower temp? If so, how much lower do you think?

Any info would be appreciated. One practical side to this is I wonder if I am leaving these on 24/7 (I certainly don't plan to pull them off and put them back on all the time) should I adjust the max temp for the stove at all? How about Cat engagement, can I perhaps engage at a slightly lower reported temp on top of the cookstones?

Thanks in advance...

Good questions. I don't have the extra stones, but have thought about it for extra mass and wondered the same about temps. As far as cooking goes I just wait till I have a good bed of coals and temps under 400 then I set a dutch oven on top for stews and roasts, this gives a good 3 hours or more of slow simmering. Have you asked Woodstock?

Status
Not open for further replies.