Fireview Fall Maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akennyd

Aug 19, 2009
North Carolina
Well, I haven't had to do anything to my Fireview since new so I can't complain too much.

Cat scoop was really beginning to sag last winter, to the point it was taking up valuable firebox space. In the process of installing the new stainless scoop, I discovered the ceramic cat was beginning to fall apart. So, another call to Woodstock and a new steel cat was (is) on the way.

For those that have installed the new Fireview scoop, how is it holding up? It is made out of thinner material than I was expecting. Maybe the stainless can hold up to the heat better?

Last edited:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I replaced that scoop a few years ago due to warping. You're better off than me though. Last Winter I bout a new metal CAT, and this spring I bought the new stainless scoop and bypass frame. While putting in the bypass frame I cracked the combustor pan...which is the whole guts of the stove. Luckily I live in NH so I have a guy coming from Woodstock to replace the pan, all my gaskets, etc. It'll basically be rebuilt except for the door and stone HAHA. It's worth it...it's 13 years old and has saved me thousands of dollars in heating bills, and provided countless warm nights when the power is out. Great stoves but things do start to warp and need replacement.

This will be my fourth year burning in my Fireview - awesome little stove - kind of wet my appetite to something larger next time but I am so a CAT guy now - 5 cords last year and look at that ash - this thing burns so clean.

Anyhow - I am a little disappointed with the screen - the mesh just burned up after three seasons - I purchased a new one last week and although I realize the CAT would have to be replaced after some time (5+ years) but did not think the scoop was a consumable as well...

Attachments

• IMG-20140924-00333.jpg
    IMG-20140924-00333.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 154
  • ash 2013 2014.jpg
    ash 2013 2014.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 154
I think just about all the parts in a stove will need t be replaced eventually. My stove is 13 years old, I'm on my 3rd cat, 3rd scoop/ and now the whole combustor pan is being replaced this week...along with gaskets, bypass frame, etc...I'll probably swap out the andirons and the bracket they attach to also...they're starting to bend toward the glass just a bit. I dont over fire my stove, but it runs constantly all winter and that takes it's toll. Luckily, the parts are fairly cheap so not a huge deal to replace as needed.

I wonder if they'll redesign the mesh screen on the updated stainless scoop. It doesn't seem like it would last that long being so close to the Cat. At least the part is easy to swap out with the two removable pins...but the mesh is riveted to the scoop so you have to swap the entire part. May not be a bad thing, I bet by the time the screen burns the scoop must be starting to warp, I would think.

I'm not complaining a bit about parts swapping, warped metals, etc. The stove is so nice to look at, and it's performance is just amazing in my setup. Mine is 13 years old, and I've been running it 24/7 every year from mid Oct until almost April every year....I finally brushed my flu this past weekend for the first time and only removed about a coffee can of crud from the chimney...it burns that clean! Every year I check the chimney with a flash light and can see the clay liner and it's always fairly clean...that kind of safety is a huge peace of mind for me!

Reactions: glennm
MJF, maybe you bought your stove used, but you guys are in overfire territory if you are warping scoops and andirons. If your stove was used, it's possible the seams and gaskets are leaking; Then it's hard to keep the Fv from getting hot. We had the same situation with my SIL's. She was unable to run the stove without flame in the box, with all the extra air coming in. Now that we've got some of the air leaks fixed, she can run her Fv at reasonable temps, and use less wood doing it. Have the tech check for seam leaks when he's there (quite possibly, he would do that anyway.)

I bought my stove brand new back in 2001, and have never over fired it. The hottest I've ever gotten it is a little over 600 but that was once. My routine average burn temp is between 450 and 500 on the stove top. The CAT in these stoves gets extremely hot, so anything cast iron in close proximity will warp eventually. Woodstock will tell you that. They redesigned the scoop to be stainless steel because they were only lasting 3 to 4 years...they're inexpensive and easy to change. With the new scoop upgrade, you simply pull 2 pins and out comes the whole part. In my case, the combustor pan finally warped, but that's because the CAT sits right on top of it so it's been baking for 12 plus years. In my case, I bought a scoop last year...I think it was 40 bucks. the combustor pan is 150 ish plus the labor to install. I don't mind that expense once a decade. I'm having the tech come out because it looks like a complicated part to swap and I want him to check the whole stove over for anything else that may need to be replaced, gaskets, and such. It'll give me some comfort knowing it's done right and was inspected by a pro.

Yep - me too - purchased new 3+ years ago and I never over fire. on less than a handful of occasions I too hit 600 but she's always purrig between 450 and 500.

Thanks for the replies!!!

I wondered how well that screen would hold up...doesn't appear to be very robustly made. May try to do a DIY fix if mine just burns up. $70 for this part and $100 for a cat every few years isn't too bad but I kinda would have liked those parts to have lasted longer. The scoop began taking up valuable firebox space last winter...

No over firing for me either!! Stove purchased new and temps are mostly in the 450 to 550 range. On rare occasions, over 600, but don't think I've ever gone into the red.

The gentleman from Woodstock came down last night, what a nice guy! In two hours he had replaced every internal part and every gasket in my stove. Complete rebuild. Right down to the andirons. He told me that the next time the bypass frame warps, don't try to change it because it will crack the combustor pan when you tighten it down (as what occurred with me)...just order he whole pan loaded and it comes with the frame, bypass, gaskets and all. I'm ready for the next 13 plus years now! We talked a lot about the Fireview (he runs one) and the fact that you can replace every part even the stone pieces as needed. They really are great stoves with a great design behind them. He also told me on the new scoop design, never pull the pins and take the scoop out...just vacuum it and the mesh screen from the top and you should be good to go. I guess the pins don't hold up real well under all the heat and tend to break so have spares if you do plan to take it out for some reason. We also spoke about the new steel stoves they're building, it was a very informative night. So, $90 in parts and 2 hours labor and I have a new stove...feels good. Thanks Woodstock!!

Sounds like a good deal, MJFlores! Glad it worked out for you. Happy heating to you this winter!!!

Reactions: MJFlores
Status
Not open for further replies.