Fireview firepower!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woody and Jambx - nice looking installs there!

Jambx, out of curiosity how old is your house? The beaded edge and trim pattern on your fireplace surround says Federal or Greek Revival era to me... though floors look mid-late 1800s and the brickwork on the hearth extension looks new. I'm thinking pre-1850 with some later renovations - am I close?

jharkin said:
Woody and Jambx - nice looking installs there!

Jambx, out of curiosity how old is your house? The beaded edge and trim pattern on your fireplace surround says Federal or Greek Revival era to me... though floors look mid-late 1800s and the brickwork on the hearth extension looks new. I'm thinking pre-1850 with some later renovations - am I close?

Well your off by~100 years - its a 1939 Cape with origional wide plank Red Oak floors - I have been in the house since '98 - its been a few upgrades - hence the various dental crown molding, soapstone countertops etc - I love the older homes. I also have a 1750 Salt Box farm house - just mind boggoling when I look at the beams in that house and think that the wood came from huge White Oak trees (which likley were right on the property itself) were growing before Columbas set foot on this land. Just so cool. Restoration of that house is slated as my retirement project.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Copy of DSCN1285.jpg
    Copy of DSCN1285.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 167
Jambx said:
I have yet to do the rear shield - I asked Woodstock and they didnt have a home run of a answer - thought as long as I have brick int he hearth it was act as a big sink and soak the room as well.
Not sure about your setup but mine is an exterior masonry chimney so I think that heating up the bricks is just funneling most of the heat outside instead of re-radiating into the house. An interior chimney would keep that heat inside the house...

As for the burn times .... I am begining to understand that eveyones definition is different so I am not sure what to say - I load it up - drop the hammer (so to speak) at 500F and shut the by pass - decrease to 1 or just a hair less and let her rip - with a full load....well.....I dunno...seems like she is pushing some flames for a few hours ...maybe 4 no more than 5 - the stove (stone) cruses 500F ~ 250F for 2 or 3 hours... I go to bed at 11pm on a full load - in the morning the themometer on the wall is 70F (high 20's outside) - - stove top temp is ~200F and all I have to do is throw wood on the hot bed of coals. Is it me or is that kind'a neat!
Yeah, with the air opened to 1, I'm not going to get a 12-hour burn. But if you're maintaining room temp and you can restart in the morning off coals, you've got what you need. Yes, that's kinda neat! :)

Woody,

I think you are on to something - I also think that is why Woodstock wasnt gaga to sell me a rear shield. I do have a interior chiminey and the stove right smack in the middle of the house - so as you state "I think I got what I need"!

~Jim

Nice job on that install, dig the heat shield. Well done, nothing better than doing it yourself!

Am I dissapointed - not at all - just the opposite - I go to bed at 11pm on a full load - in the morning the themometer on the wall is 70F (high 20's outside) - - stove top temp is ~200F and all I have to do is throw wood on the hot bed of coals. Is it me or is that kind'a neat!
Yup, in my opinion it is neat! I am liking everything I read about the Fireview. Will be visiting the factory in the very near future to take a good look and ask a few questions.

Jambx:

I looked at your earlier thread, that was one cool looking project you had! You were really lucky the floor joist was not closer to the stove, you just squeaked by to make clearance.
My hardwood floors directly in front of the FV always got really hot and shrank noticeably, the joints between boards widened. Oddly, the hearth and wood floor in front of my Progress is
much cooler.
Mine too.

It helps that the PH can be set further back on the hearth pad with top vent,so I have way more hearth protection. Cover edge of hearth and wood floor with a sheepskin rug.

I also wreasled with this for sometime until I found a super easy way to attatch it - use magnets! What was going to be a temporary sheild (as I was going to get one made out of Copper) worked and looked so great I left it in place.

Basically I used what I had left of the 22 ga sheet metal I used for the floor - cut it to size (I had use two pieces to make my dimensions), bent it (using a 2x4), a couple of holes and screws later plus two large magnets to hold it agaisnt the lintle and voila!

The pictures does not really do it justice as it blends rght in at almost every angle.

My hearth opening was 42 inches - I made the sheild 36 inches wide - 8 inches of a bend - when I measure stright out its 6 inhes from the hearth surround.

Cost me nothing as I had the large magnets. One day I might make it out of copper but for now this works!

Nice job. I would clean it with alcohol, then spray paint it with white high temp paint.

s it me or is that kind'a neat!
Thanks for all the kind words. It was one of my more rewarding projects and I have had quite a few!

I have to admit I have yet to do the rear shield - I asked Woodstock and they didnt have a home run of a answer - thought as long as I have brick int he hearth it was act as a big sink and soak the room as well. The more and more i think about it however is you are correct in your assumption that the shield direct the heat forward instead or rearward. I have not priced the shield yet but it cant be too much - I am going to try it when I get a chance.

As for the burn times .... I am begining to understand that eveyones definition is different so I am not sure what to say - I load it up - drop the hammer (so to speak) at 500F and shut the by pass - decrease to 1 or just a hair less and let her rip - with a full load....well.....I dunno...seems like she is pushing some flames for a few hours ...maybe 4 no more than 5 - the stove (stone) cruses 500F ~ 250F for 2 or 3 hours (soaking the room of that wonderful warmth).

I do think wood is a main contributor - I have 7 cords out back which I split this past year (yes I know its not seasoned) - I am using 1 year old Oak - my mosture meter reading (when I re-split a split) is ~15%. Even though its only a year old I think it is this low because my inital splits back in March were ridiculasly small (~3 inches a side).

Am I dissapointed - not at all - just the opposite - I go to bed at 11pm on a full load - in the morning the themometer on the wall is 70F (high 20's outside) - - stove top temp is ~200F and all I have to do is throw wood on the hot bed of coals. Is it me or is that kind'a neat!
Yes it is neat, just adding wood to some coals and off ya go,,,, that's why I love my Fireview,, just so easy to run! Like I always said, set it and forget it!!!!! Glad you like your Fireview!

I love my Fireview,, just so easy to run!
Amen, brother! :cool: It's nasty outside, but a pleasant 70* where I'm sitting. :)

It looks like the Keystone will be going in at a SIL's newly-purchased house. The chimney install will be straight up through the roof so that will be something I haven't done before. Her son has construction/remodeling experience so we should be able to handle it. Coming up with a design and installing a good-looking hearth will be a new experience as well. The install will probably be done over the summer, so I'll have a chance to swap stoves and play with the Keystone a little more with some dry wood before I kiss her goodbye. ==c

Woody, you no doubt have seen my posts debunking the myth about ash dust. There is no reason to have it in the first place and no special tools or water or any other junk is required other than an ash shovel and a bucket.

However, to make sure of no dust, this little ash holder is excellent and is a perfect fit for the Fireview as it is the perfect height to the firebox door.

Ash Holder

I have this ash holder. No fly ash when opening the lid, and super easy to dump into my ash bin outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.