Fireview fit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollowHill

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Central NY
I live in a 200 yr old house (2400 sq ft, poorly insulated) with a 13 yr old interior chimney. Currently heat with oil, paying through the nose. The chimney has 3 flues, one of which is for a fireplace. Dumb move on my part, but I digress. I'd like to install a Fireview in place of the fireplace and am wondering if it will fit. The stove dimensions are 26"W x 20"D x 28"H. The fireplace dimensions are 40" deep by 36" wide by 34" tall with 8" of brick surround before the antique mantel begins. Is there any chance I can make it work? I'm figuring I'll have to extend the hearth (bluestone, any suggestions?), but what about the clearance with the mantel? I saw one installation here that used a copper heat shield on the mantel above the woodstove, but would I have problems on all sides?

Also, is there any way to tell the dimension of the flue from the hearth (in other words, looking up the chimney) or can you only tell from the top looking down? Is there any specific size that would have been used in this new an install?

Thanks.

Best thing to do is call Woodstock with all your questions, they will be very helpful. I know with a fireplace install if you stick it into the fire box your going to have to have enough sticking out to load from the side door and operate the air control and bypass lever. The front clearance only requires 8" since it's a side loading door.

Welcome Hollowhill,

I would install it outside of the current firebox. I think the front cleance is only 9" on the Fireview. There is a lot of heat "thrown off" from the soapstone sides.

Fireview:

fireviewbaby.jpg

Palladian:

palltop.jpg

Classic:

classicmidright.jpg

Keystone:

Key-top-left.gif

Mike

I think the front cleance is only 9” on the Fireview.

I stand corrected (8"). I posted before I saw Todd's response.

Mike

I was in a somewhat similar situation. With their rear heat shield you have to maintain a minimum of 18 inches clearance from any face trim and 30 inches from any combustible material that is directly overhead. I ended up putting mine about 8 3/8" outside the opening and fabricating a copper heat shield to protect some of the face trim. This also necessitated building a hearth pad that was about 36" deep.

You probably don't want it inside the box, unless you have a walk-in firebox.

Attachments

• DSC01203.jpg
    DSC01203.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 470
  • DSC01206.jpg
    DSC01206.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 448
  • DSC01208.jpg
    DSC01208.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 427
  • DSC01229.jpg
    DSC01229.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 461
HollowHill said:
I
Also, is there any way to tell the dimension of the flue from the hearth (in other words, looking up the chimney) or can you only tell from the top looking down? Is there any specific size that would have been used in this new an install?

Thanks.

I stuck a paint stirring stick perpendicular on the end of a yard stick and shoved it up there. Start with the full length, and if that's too much, gradually cut some off. As long as you've got at least 7 or 8 inches on each dimension, you should be able to run the 6" liner with insulation through it.

I concur about calling woodstock, they are extremely helpful and patient with customers who have a thousand questions.

dreezon,

Is your stove setup on Youtube?

I thought I saw one similar to yours.

Mike

P.S. Beautiful job, BTW.

MacPB said:
dreezon,

Is your stove setup on Youtube?

I thought I saw one similar to yours.

Mike

P.S. Beautiful job, BTW.

Thanks.

No, it's not up there as yet. I'm thinking about doing that when I finally get a chance to really use the stove, and when the lighting is right.

This guy has to be a member here. He has almost the same copper heat shield for the mantle as you.

Yes, he is. He's posted that video here before. He and I PM'd about clearances just before he added the heat shield. And we exchanged posts about hearth pads as I was laying mine out. It's funny, we both arrived at very similar conclusions independently.

It appears, to my eye anyway, that the cleearance is the same between the top and the sides of the stove and the mantel. Why is the heat shield only necessary at the top? Thanks for all your great replies, I'm working up the courage to call Woodstock.

I'd have to double-check, but I think if you're using their rear heat shield the clearance to the vertical face trim (on the sides) can be as little as 12 inches, whereas the overhead must be 18".

HollowHill said:
It appears, to my eye anyway, that the cleearance is the same between the top and the sides of the stove and the mantel. Why is the heat shield only necessary at the top? Thanks for all your great replies, I'm working up the courage to call Woodstock.

Welcome to the forum HollowHill.

First, that is a big box to heat, especially if it is drafty, but certainly a Fireview would be better than a fireplace.

Now about working up the courage to call Woodstock.....do not worry. I talked to several folks there and never had any sort of a hint of any pressure on making the sale. They just do not operate like that. They are easy going folks who like to answer questions about the stoves, their operation and install.

One of the most knowledgeable folks there is Mike Hartigan. So I suggest calling and asking for Mike at 800-866-4344.

One thing we recently learned about them though is that many times they refer people to this forum and ask for the experts, like Todd.

Good luck to you.

With that size home, go for it and look into a Hearthstone Equinox! Find a local Hearthstone dealer and have them come out. You have a big area and if you like the soft heat and beauty of soapstone, the Hearthstone line wont restrict you to such a small stove. Just a suggestion

Thanks, Dennis. This is a great forum, I'm really enjoying reading all the past posts. Learning a great deal.

Yes, this is a big box and drafty as all get out. I believe I read somewhere in the past posts about the possibility of Woodstock coming out with a new/bigger woodstove at some point, and I am considering waiting to hear more about that. Anyone have any insight into that?

On the other hand, we are planning on a) tightening up the place (new siding, new roof, insulation, new windows, $$$) and b) getting another auxiliary heat source when our ship comes in :) Until then, was thinking the Fireview might be a help and with the tax credit, might be doable on our limited funds.

I'm totally sold on Woodstock after all I've read here and I love the look!

dreezon said:
Yes, he is. He's posted that video here before. He and I PM'd about clearances just before he added the heat shield. And we exchanged posts about hearth pads as I was laying mine out. It's funny, we both arrived at very similar conclusions independently.

Where can I find that heat shield? I might need one.

HollowHill said:
Thanks, Dennis. This is a great forum, I'm really enjoying reading all the past posts. Learning a great deal.

Yes, this is a big box and drafty as all get out. I believe I read somewhere in the past posts about the possibility of Woodstock coming out with a new/bigger woodstove at some point, and I am considering waiting to hear more about that. Anyone have any insight into that?

On the other hand, we are planning on a) tightening up the place (new siding, new roof, insulation, new windows, $$$) and b) getting another auxiliary heat source when our ship comes in :) Until then, was thinking the Fireview might be a help and with the tax credit, might be doable on our limited funds.

I'm totally sold on Woodstock after all I've read here and I love the look!

What can I say but that we are also sold on the Woodstock and love the look. We even get to pick out our own colors! Go to their place and you can even pick out the stone. And with the tax credit, it does make the stove look even more affordable. I remember that we wanted this stove many years ago but just could now swing it then. Now I wish we'd have done more to get it then.

On their new stove, they definitely are working one a larger firebox but to my knowledge they have not done anything on the finished product. My best guess would say another 2 years or more before it hits the market but that truely is an uneducated guess....or a SWAG.

Status
Not open for further replies.