Fireview Hearth Construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bd234

Feb 6, 2010
Gaithersburg, MD
I purchased a Woodstock fireview and am in the hearth planning stage. I have already installed 1/2" Hardibacker on the surrounding walls and intend to remove the wood floor and subfloor and install 3/4" plywood, 24 gauge sheet metal and 1/2" Durock then tile. The previous chimney and holes (since removed) from a basement wood stove is in the corner of the hearth (see pic). I want to meet the 7" clearance requirements to fit the stove in the middle of the 51" wide hearth but don't know how to build a 1/2" thick non combustible wall with 1" airspace. Do I need to leave a gap on the sides, top and bottom or just btw the hardibacker and wall? How do you make the gap?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Bridgette

Attachments

• 000hearth.jpg
    000hearth.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 421
Are you sure you have those clearances right? I think the Fireview is more like 18" on the loading door side, and 8" in front, and maybe 18" in back. Anyway, make sure you check the Woodstock website for accurate clearances before you do anything else. Why would you remove the subfloor and then add plywood? Seems like you are just replacing one solid surface with another. As for the spacers, I think they make little ceramic stand-offs for this sort of application. But I have also seen people just take a piece of electrical conduit and cut it into 1" lengths and use those as stand-offs. Long screw right through the middle.

Yes, its 18" but our right side is open space on the left side is where the 1" air spaced wall can go and reduce clearances to 7". I guess I wanted a flush hearth with the floor but now the manufacturer is recommended hollow concrete blocks on their side covered in durock. Thanks for the conduit tip.

Use cement board for the wall shield. It only needs an air gap at the top and bottom. It's ok if the sides are sealed and dressed over.
Directions: http://literature.usg.com/pdf/CB198.pdf

Based on the description I don't see any need to tear up the floor. The hearth can be built on top of the existing floor starting with the plywood base. If possible, use the original Wonderboard cement board from Home Depot. Durock is now only available as the NextGen product which apparently is not approved for hearth construction.

Not sure at all what is meant by the hollow concrete blocks? Can you point to the referring document?

Don't kill yourself trying to make a hearth perfectly flush to the floor. A 1" difference with a nice tapered piece of 3" oak as a threshold isn't the end of the world.

Thanks, much clearer now. For the base, I saw this quote and pasted it out into a word and didnt paste the link but here it is:
"I used hollow core 4"x8"x16” concrete blocks in place of the steel studs, you can get them at HD or Lowes for about $1.10 each. I spaced them and then covered them with a couple sheets of Durock (all bonded together with thinset). You can add perlite if you want even more protection, it’s about $12 for a 4 cu ft bag (plenty for a hearth) on ebay."
Not sure which route to go for the base now.

novagasser said:
Thanks, much clearer now. For the base, I saw this quote and pasted it out into a word and didnt paste the link but here it is:
"I used hollow core 4"x8"x16” concrete blocks in place of the steel studs, you can get them at HD or Lowes for about $1.10 each. I spaced them and then covered them with a couple sheets of Durock (all bonded together with thinset). You can add perlite if you want even more protection, it’s about $12 for a 4 cu ft bag (plenty for a hearth) on ebay."
Not sure which route to go for the base now.

That is atypical and overkill in this situation. Do yourself a favor and print out this guide from Woodstock. I think it will answer most all of your questions and will make decisions a lot easier: http://tinyurl.com/2bnx9wd

Yes, I noticed that the web only lists 1/4". But folks are still getting it in 1/2". Call up your local HD stores and ask if they have Wonderboard in 1/2" sheets.

Thanks I read the pdf and here's what I came up after laying it all out on the kitchen floor with tape(see pic). I was planning to use 2x8s b/c the idea of a raised hearth sounds good now. ?-do i have to tile the corner walls or can i just paint the hardibacker?

Attachments

• 12377 hearth design.jpg
    12377 hearth design.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 314
Status
Not open for further replies.