Fireview Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the Woodstock family. You'll LOVE that stove, beautiful install too! Yeah, ceiling fan will help a lot, like BG said, probably set on updraft will work best.

RandyB said:
Dennis, Thanks for the info. I'm still learning how to caress it for best results. I don't think my wood has completely seasoned enough and I guess I'd only had about a quarter of the firebox left and could only get the top to 425.

Yes I agree with the rolling flame, had my wife sitting in front of it watching as all flame would disappear and 15 seconds later it would erupt and roll around the top for about 10-15secs and repeat, just sit and watch mesmerized.

I had started it top down, not completely full, took about 1hr30min to stop hissing to engage the cat, after which it glowed nicely, could not seemingly turn down the draft control below 1. Got up 8hrs after start and found the stove top around 225 and the largest split in the back 3/4 left and absolutely no glowing in a completely dark room. Stirred it up and burned the rest.

Guess I still have plenty to figure out before we get to the meaty part of the season.

Thanks again for all of the information, every little bit helps in the learning process.

Definitely sounds like wet wood. You really need good dry Hardwood to get the full benefit of this stove. If all you have is less than seasoned wood try burning with smaller splits and more air.

RandyB said:
Dennis, Thanks for the info. I'm still learning how to caress it for best results. I don't think my wood has completely seasoned enough and I guess I'd only had about a quarter of the firebox left and could only get the top to 425.

Yes I agree with the rolling flame, had my wife sitting in front of it watching as all flame would disappear and 15 seconds later it would erupt and roll around the top for about 10-15secs and repeat, just sit and watch mesmerized.

I had started it top down, not completely full, took about 1hr30min to stop hissing to engage the cat, after which it glowed nicely, could not seemingly turn down the draft control below 1. Got up 8hrs after start and found the stove top around 225 and the largest split in the back 3/4 left and absolutely no glowing in a completely dark room. Stirred it up and burned the rest.

Guess I still have plenty to figure out before we get to the meaty part of the season.

Thanks again for all of the information, every little bit helps in the learning process.

Randy, like Todd said, your wood is definitely still a bit green. When it is dry that stove will amaze you even more. With 425 and only 1/4 full firebox that isn't bad but the 1 1/2 hours of hissing worries me a bit. Definitely make certain there is no hissing before engaging the cat. or you will have problems. If I were you I'd try to find some good seasoned wood for this year and use what you have on hand for next year. Then you'll get full benefit from the stove with no worries and you'll also stay warmer. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.