Fireview Installation - Hearth Pad Height / Chimney Connection Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Dave

Sep 8, 2010
Central Indiana
We ordered a new Woodstock Fireview at the end of Sept. It arrived last week. Me and my brother worked like a two man Ox Team to get it off my pickup and into the house, it was a difficult task.
I have been reading here of the Pros and Cons of various hearth pad designs. Ours will be a corner install into a partially exposed brick chimney (see attached pic of approx final destination).
The wife and I have been viewing pics of various installs and are leaning toward an elevated hearth pad. We are considering installing some heavy duty drawers in the hearth platform for kindling and misc stove stuff that normally clutters the stove area. I haven't found a pic of such an install, but there must be some out there among the lurkers here. This could be a lower 2 x 12 structure with Framing located to accomodate the drawer locations and widths, topped with a 2x4 deck spaced 12 or 16" on center to support the 3/4" plywood, 24 ga sheet metal if I can locate some, and 1/2" Wonderboard with a tile surface.
I am also considering modifying the chimney to lower the thimble entry into the chimney. This would allow for a straight rear exit into the chimney sort of like a fireplace hearth install and allow a more usefull Mantle shelf without a stove pipe running in front of it. My wife will undoubtedly want to sit those little "fire starters" known as Longaberger Baskets on the shelf. The chimney seems to have a large approx 2" limestone gravel filling the cavity below the current thimble. This could be as simple as removing a few bricks and mining out the "gravel" between the existing bottom and the new lower opening. If it changes to mortar or concrete filling, I guess I close it up and use the current thimble with a few more elbows and interior stove pipe, likely no mantle shelf. I know stove pipe radiates heat almost as good as the stove, but I think we'll have a little heat to sacrifice to make the planned mantle shelf a little more user friendly.

Obviously I only want to install a new chimney liner once, so if I am going to (attempt) lower it, now is the time. Part of me wants to slap up a simple temporary "starter" hearth pad, worry about a more elaborate tall hearth platform later. Right now I'm leaning toward a compromise of sorts, a 2 x 4 platform with a best guess as to new thimble connection height suitable for the final design, use a few more elbows to connect it now (knowing once we are up and running I am less likely to ever change it). FYI house is an old 100 + years sort of Cape Cod farmhouse at about 1500+ SF about 900 roughly 4 square partially open floorplan with mud room addition on far end from hearth room, sort of central stairway with 1 bedroom each side of landing at about 500 SF. We have an interior chimney with a minimum of 21 feet to existing thimble, possibly 25', to be propperly lined with a new insulated 6" liner either way. Based on recent draft observations from top of completely open chimney I should have a decent, possibly good draft (It sucks enough heated air from the house I think I could sit a lawn chair on top and wait for Santa on Christmas Eve in a tee shirt)

I know based on that brief (ha ha) narrative there are about 10 directions this thread could take, but I tried to provide enough info to save some time answering the unavoidable barrage of obvious questions that seem to initiate such a discussion thread. I'll try to limit my expected answers to just a few questions . . .

1. 16" tall hearth platform . . . . good or bad?

2. eliminating 3 to 4 feet of interior stove pipe and a few elbows . . . . . good or bad?

a few pics attached . .

Attachments

• IMG_1891.jpg
    IMG_1891.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 448
Welcome to the forum. I like the idea of the raised hearth with drawers. I've never seen one but it's a great idea. Just remember there's 500 lbs sitting on top so make it stout.

As far as the pipe goes, I like the looks and the extra heat coming off single wall pipe, but if your wife wants a mantle that would look nice as well. Might as well make the boss happy, you will get plenty of heat off the stove.

Woodstove-1.gif

Sorry that picture does not show anything with drawers in the hearth but if we were to remake it, we would definitely put some drawers in there. It's just that the neighbor owned me some work and built the heart for us.

We had some arguments before it was built as to how high to put the heart. My thought kept going that heat goes up and not down. We already had cold floors and I did not want anything that would make it colder. So, we finally settled on 16" high. Now we have it that high we are extremely pleased. Not only are our floors not as cold as they were (much warmer) but we have a chair sitting by the firebox door. This allows us to sit while loading the wood and not having to bend, which neither of our backs enjoy.

Another big benefit is the extra space it has given. What a great place to dry boots and gloves! In addition, my wife does a lot of cooking during winter months on our Fireview. We just keep coming up with one benefit over another.

Good luck.

Backwoods,

Do you have any type of a chimney cleanout or do you remove your horizontal connector to clean the flue? I will have to disconnect the stove to clean the chimney. That is the only real Con that I can think of with a direct horizontal connection. My setup will not be simple straight shot, I will have a 45 elbow into the thimble which should allow me to disconnect without moving the stove. Someone might make a telescoping stove pipe in that range of length, but I haven't seriously looked for one.

Dave, our cleanout is simply the bottom cap of the tee. We do not remove the horizontal section but once per year we find a bunch of fly ash in there and simply suck it out with a shop vac. during the annual summer cleaning. It works well for us.

As for taking apart any stove pipe, I quit doing that many moons ago and happy that we did.

btw, my wife is usually the one to check the chimney. Ours has not been cleaned since the summer of 2009. She did remove the bottom cap today to look up. When she took the cap off there was about 1/2 cup of fly ash and maybe a little soot. The chimney itself was clean as can be.

I removed the center brick that would make the new thimble connection. I expected to find limestone gravel behind it, instead I had an empty chimney. Upon further investigation I used a mirror and a flashlight to find a board of some kind across the chimney 9 courses of brick above the new hole. I measured the distance to check my course count and it confirmed the board above the center of the new opening about 26.5" up or 4 + courses below the top of the existing thimble opening. It looks like the grain runs front to back. I am hoping that a brick on each end is a half brick to give it a small ledge on each side to sit on.
At this point I could:
1) Forget about lowering my stove connection to directly behind the new Fireview requiring I patch one brick. Use 1 additional 90, 1 additional 45 and about 5 additional feet of stove pipe.
2) Revove a second brick at the location of the board which should let me remove the board and the gravel above it, finish my new connection opening and patch the old connection opening, and patch the brick removed to remove the board.

or 3) get a ladder and reach down from the existing 8" opening and see how much gravel I can remove, possibly expose the wooden blockage from the top to get another look, possibly enough access to cut it out with a pilot hole and a sawzall.

I think I will be able to write a book on what can go wrong to complicate every step of a new install on an ancient chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.