Fireview Installed (Update 12/7)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I got the new stove all set last night. We were planning to do the first burn, but it was just too hot and humid in the house already. Maybe the weather will dry and cool down soon.
DSC05627.jpg

The pipe looks a little funny with the wide angle lens. This is where the chimney was for the old stove, but we wanted to move the new one into the corner to open up some space in the room.
DSC05631.jpg

I hope to post some burn pictures soon. Maybe we'll light it up and let the Central AC deal with the heat. I don't want to wait until fall!

The new home for the old stove.
IMG00198599x798.jpg

Well Steve, just wait a couple days and maybe some of this chilly weather will work its way over to you and you can do the little burn-in fires at least. Boy, we could have used a couple fires in the stove the last few days but held off. Finally the sun is shinning this morning.

Looks like you'll be happy with the setup and you did a nice job. My wife wants those frogs though.

Congratulations to you.

We did our first little burn last night.
DSC05653600x800.jpg

The dog looked happy. I felt a little funny sitting in front of the stove in my shorts on May 29. I only put 4 little splits in it. Because the wood had been rained on all week, we had a pretty slow, gentle fire. I only got the temp up to about 250*. I started it at about 9 pm and at 3 am there was still some fire going and the stone was still warm. It was even a little warm at 9 am! I can only imagine how this stove will perform with a good load of dry Oak in it this winter. I have too be careful not to wish away the summer so I can start using the new stove full time.

Steve, that sounds pretty good for your first break-in fire. Actually you could have went even smaller. Do another one like that. Then the third fire you might even add another split. Fire #4, have fun!

Yes, double wall. No pipe thermometer. I was going by the little thermometer that comes with the stove, placed on the stove top.

The pipe is now a very prominent feature in the living room. I was thinking of painting some flames on it. It' best I leave the artistic expressions to my wife.

Steve, you can get by with that thermometer you got with the stove. I've tried several others but the ones that Woodstock handles seem to be the most accurate.

I went with just the one thermometer for most of the first year but did get another one for the flue. Not really sure I need that one but it is there for observation. It does tell me when we reload if the pipe is getting too hot. On ours, we have horizontal out the back so it will probably get higher temps faster than those straight up or like yours with an angle.

You will love that stove. Did you have it shipped or did you pick it up? Do you have enough floor protection where the door opens? What is great with Woodstock is any questions that you have just give them a call and they will anwer it. You should get the tax credit with that stove.

Nice stove. It's a good time for break in fires cause you can open windows to get the stink out. A couple weeks ago I changed out my stove pipe, started a fire and smoke poured off it as the paint cured. It filled my house with smoke and I had all the windows open. Never seen stove pipe smoke that bad before.

I like my stove pipe probe thermometer, It tells you more of what's going on inside and I can see it while sitting in my recliner or laying on the couch.

It will be kinda iffy on that Fireview living up to the Franklin. Will have to wait and see. :coolsmile:

Judging by the thermometer on the deck, the old stove is still putting out some pretty decent heat! %-P

pinewoodburner said:
You will love that stove. Did you have it shipped or did you pick it up? Do you have enough floor protection where the door opens? What is great with Woodstock is any questions that you have just give them a call and they will anwer it. You should get the tax credit with that stove.

We already love it. We went up the factory to pick it up. We were even able to pick out the stones that they used. See this thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/38554/.

I just took a closer look at the book that came with the stove. According to the book I do not have enough floor protection. :bug: At least I have a few months to get that worked out. I hate to buy another hearth pad. We bought this one last fall to replace the one under the old stove. It was not cheap! >:-(

I'm digging through old threads Steve and see that you used double wall, maybe simpson DVL, off of the back of your stove. Did you use a tee? Did you use an adapater for your tee? Could you maybe post a pic or measure the distance from the back of the tee to the front of stove?

Also, with the bend that you have, can you still open the stove top?

Thanks

The pipe is Selkirk brand. I bought it from Woodstock when I bought the stove. Out the back of the stove is a appliance adapter, and a 90* elbow. Form the front of the stove to the back of the elbow is about 35".
The lid opens just enough to sit on the pipe. Good thing I have touch up paint.

Attachments

• DSC05889.jpg
    DSC05889.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,142
  • DSC05890.jpg
    DSC05890.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,101
All the connections are screwed. The adapter isn't painted. What you see in the picture is a painted ring around the adapter and the connection to the elbow.

Flatbedford said:
The pipe is Selkirk brand.

Is that this product?

http://www.selkirkcorp.com/Metalbest/Product.aspx?id=58

Pg 3 of the installation instructions shows a configuration that will work well for me. Putting a tee below the ceiling adaptor and rotating the tee will let me place the stove exactly where I want it as opposed to the twin 45s which would push it further off the wall. It also provides an easy clean out which got a lot harder when I added 14' feet of pipe last year.

That's it. I didn't shop or research the pipe. I told the guys at Woodstock what I needed to do with the pipe and they put together a package for me. They painted it to match the stove and I picked up the stove and the pipe from the factory.

Thanks and nice setup. How did the fresh flowers survive that first burn?

Soup!

That's what mine does.

Thanks for the photos Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.