Fireview Installed (Update 12/7)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy to do my share to help out here.

Nice postings and NICE pics, both in this thread and the factory tour/stove pick up/anniversary get away thread!! Hope y'all enjoy the stove and thanks for taking the time to share!!

Kenny

John 3:16

In the midst of burn number 3 right now. Filled the firebox about 1/4 - 1/3. Got it up to about 300* stove top with the air mostly open after about 45 minutes. Engaged the cat and closed the air down to 1 or so. It has been running at about 375* for about 1 1/2 hours now. Its amazing how much the pipe cools when the cat is engaged. Doesn't smell too bad. I have some windows open and I had the attic fan running for about an hour to pull in some fresh air and blow the smell out. My wood is burning great! Its gonna be so nice to get this thing really going in a few weeks. Considering that the stove should be at this temp for a few hours, should I do one more smaller burn or will I be ready to let her rip on the next burn?

It is now 11am. I started the fire last night at about 8. The stove is still warm to the touch, about 100* says the stove top thermometer and there are some burning coals. I threw some Oak noodles on the coals and with a couple deep breaths on them, they ignited. Not bad for less than a milk crate full of wood 15 hours later. I guess if I had really loaded it up last night, there would still be fire going in there and the stove would still be pretty hot. This thing is as good as they say it is. Gonna be a nice, warm winter at my house.

Yep, it will get even better when your burning 24/7.

I think you should be good to go with your next fire and do a full load.

I agree with Todd. You should be good to go. Now just wait for some cold air.

Got home from work at about 12:30 am tonight. It's about 45* outside and wife put the heat on! I just started a fire and I've got it loaded pretty full. I just engaged the cat and set the aair at about .75. Stove top is at about 450 now. It took about 45 minutes to get up to temp. I'm gonna see what this thing's got tonight. I'll be damned if the furnace turns on!

Flatbedford said:
I'll be damned if the furnace turns on!

Amen to that!

I've got to do some more reading and experimentation with the stove. I have to figure out what the best setting is for it. I guess I am adjusting the "soft" heat of the soapstone stove. My old smoke dragon could heat up the room in about 1/2 hour. The Fireview definately wants to take its time. As the folks at Woodstock tole me. It is a marathon runner, not a sprinter.

Interesting analogy there. Which I suppose is a way of saying "not best suited for the occasional burner." What I'm finding is that once the FV is going it likes to keep going (energizer bunny?) so I think I am going to be glad for that pine in my mix for next year (maybe it will be ready for spring) so that I can have some shorter life fires. I just can't seem to get it up to temp nicely then not have too much fuel left over for an extended burn that overshoots my desired temp in the house.. then again, I am rather starting to like the warmer temps.

How did your stove do for you? Was it warm enough in the morning?

Slow1 said:
I just can't seem to get it up to temp nicely then not have too much fuel left over for an extended burn that overshoots my desired temp in the house.. then again, I am rather starting to like the warmer temps.

I'm guessing that will only be an issue in this shoulder type weather, when it is cold all day and burning 24/7 I'm sure you'll be smiling ear to ear.

rdust said:
Slow1 said:
I just can't seem to get it up to temp nicely then not have too much fuel left over for an extended burn that overshoots my desired temp in the house.. then again, I am rather starting to like the warmer temps.

I'm guessing that will only be an issue in this shoulder type weather, when it is cold all day and burning 24/7 I'm sure you'll be smiling ear to ear.

Agreed. Then again, perhaps it is ok to just not engage the cat on every burn this time of year.

It's not the cat, well not entirely, it's the soapstone. We are also in the "one fire a day" shoulder season here and this means that I start a fire in a cold stove daily to try and boost the room temp by ten degrees. Perfect job for a steel stove with pine. We always overshoot the desired temp and it takes a long time to get it there. All stone stoves are better if run 24/7 in cold temps when you have to work pretty hard to overheat the house. Trouble is that you keep the fire going until you feel the heat rise in the room but that dang stone stays hot way too long.

I've read and re-read the manual which came with the stove and nowhere have I found that it is a crime or even a fine for burning the stove without engaging the cat. In fact, we've done exactly that on probably 4 burns so far this fall. I simply goofed and put more wood in than I should have and we didn't need it that hot, so after the stove top got to 250, I still left the cat. off. It works good, otherwise the temperature will go up fast when the cat is engaged.

We've done this off and on since the stove was new and we still have never even had a creosote problem. When heating with wood, you have to do what is required depending upon the weather, the wood and how warm or cool you want the house to be.

In our case, this time of the year we don't always use a fan either.

I guess I have some learning to do yet. After burning all day, the whole house just feels a little warmer, but the living room, where the stove is, is not much warmer than the rest of the house. It also got up to about 60* today. This shoulder season stuff is tricky with the stone stove. I agree on the "not for the casual burner". Might even have to open the windows tonight.

Flatbedford said:
I guess I have some learning to do yet. After burning all day, the whole house just feels a little warmer, but the living room, where the stove is, is not much warmer than the rest of the house. It also got up to about 60* today.

So... is this a good thing for you?

I think in the long run, when it gets and stays cold this will be great. I will miss the speed of the smoke dragon on the cooler shoulder season nights. I suppose that if we use the furnace in the shoulder season, we can make up for it with savings during the colder weather when we can take full advantage of the long, efficient burn. I'm not saying that I want to go back to the old stove, I just have to learn how to get the most out of this one. The old stove could warm up the room fast, but it also consumed about a wheelbarrow full of wood every two nights. Once we get into 24/7 burning, I know I will be happy. I also won't have to warm up a cold house, because the house should always be warm.

We got a week of high 30* and low 40* nights. Now I see the magic of the soapstone stove. It has been burning nonstop for seven days now. The house is just cozy. The living room (where the stove is) is not uncomfortably hot, just warm. I've been running it at around 450* stovetop temp. I haven't quite mastered where to set the air control and I'm not burning my best wood yet either. I've been setting it at 1 or so. I guess I don't feel right when it looks like there's no fire in there. Its making heat for a good 8 hours now. Should I lower the air? Will I get more heat with less air?

Great looking setup.
Congrats.

Brad

Keep on posting Steve, I'm looking forward to reading about your experiance with the Fireview. My gal and I have been talking about a trip to the factory in April to do exactly as you have. I use an old Glenwood cookstove in my kitchen but it's out by midnight and the furnace comes on about 2am. I'm looking for an "overnighter" and the woodstocks are my first choice. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Z

We are getting better at running this thing. After a conversation with Jamie at Woodstock, I realized that I was not letting it run long enough before reloading and had let way too much of a bed of coals build up. With too much coals in there, there was not enough air movement to keep a good fire going. Now, if the coals get too deep, I push them into a pile and set the air all the way open with the cat bipassed. This gets the coals back into a flaming fire and burns them down pretty quickly. I also was not letting it get quite hot enough before engaging the cat. Jamie suggested that I get it a little hotter, 300+ to be sure the cat lights up when engaged. With these changes, we can easily get it up around 550* stovetop. As I understand that higher temps will come with colder weather as my draft will increases with the greater difference between outside and inside temp. Even at 550* the living room is not uncomfortable and he rest of the house has a nice cozy warmth. Temps are still above freezing here, so I don't know just how warm we will be all winter.
The folks at Woodstock are great. They really know their products, are totally helpful, and just plain nice! Did you see this thread about our trip?
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/38554/
Yeasterday, I was able to revive, with some kindling and noodles, a fire that I had started and loaded about 27 hours ago. I'm not gonna claim that the stove was still heating the house, it was still warm to the touch (about 150* stovetop). We are finding that there is still plenty of heat eight hours after a reload, and enough coals to restart for 24+ hours.
We replaced an older iron, Franklin style stove that was pretty much a freestanding fireplace with our Fireveiw. It made tons of heat and burned tons of wood too but only kept the house warm for a few hours and as with you, the heat had to take over sometime in the night. The heat has not gone on at my house yet this fall. I LOVE getting up in the morning to a warm house!
There are folks here that have far more experience and expertise with these stoves than I do. Search Fireview and read the praise.

Fbf,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Fireview!! Keep posting as I am trying to learn from you and others about the operation of this stove. My fireview is due to ship out next week but I still don't know if I will get to install it this winter or not.

Thanks again,

Kenny
John 3:16

Kenny, I do hope you are able to use that stove this winter. You will love it.

Dennis,
Do you agree that my stove will burn hotter in colder weather than it is now in the low 40s and high 30s? It seems to top out at about 550 burning 14 month cut, 5 month split Locust and Cherry. This is my best stuff. I don't have a meter, but is sounds and looks well seasoned and does not make that sizzle noise in the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.