Fireview on a short stack? Attn: Dennis....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
I'm selling the Fv to my BIL. He's only got about 13.5' of chimney and I'm hoping to avoid adding another section of pipe, if possible. They tend not to fire up a stove unless it's pretty cool outside so they aren't generally fighting marginal draft conditions. They have had a couple of back-puff incidents with the Resolute III, but not many. I don't see a lot of "flash-over" burns, where gasses build up in the box and then ignite all at once, in the Fv at my place. So I'm thinking this stove would be less prone to back-puff than the Resolute III. I've got over 16' though, and the Fv adds a 90* bend with the rear vent, where the Resolute is top-vent....
Woodstock recommends 15' for the Fv but I know that Dennis runs his on about 13' and says it works well, no smoke roll-out or back-puffing. That's north of the Arctic Circle, though... ;)
Anyone else here running an Fv on a short stack?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Woody, I hate to admit it but I run mine into a 12' uninsulated liner in front of an open fireplace. Rarely have any issues. Some smoke spillage in the shoulder seasons on occasion, but I kind of expect that given the set up. I figured I would try it and it works (not sure why). Have your BIL install it and see how it goes. You can always add pipe later if it gives him trouble.

Running my Keystone on a short 12-13' stack with no problems at all.
That's got a couple of 90s too, right?

I'm running mine at about 15' here in New England and I didn't have any issues, awesome stove! I really hate to say this but I'm looking forward to the cold weather again.....o_O

That's got a couple of 90s too, right?

45 right off the stove to the liner which curves another 45 then straight up the chimney. My old Fireview in my basement install had 18' with 3 90's including the one on the back of the stove and she drafted just fine.

Keystone with 8' single wall + 8' class A, straight up. I burn with outside temps up to 60F. I've never had a single problem with smoke spillage, back puffing etc.

I'm selling the Fv to my BIL. He's only got about 13.5' of chimney and I'm hoping to avoid adding another section of pipe, if possible. They tend not to fire up a stove unless it's pretty cool outside so they aren't generally fighting marginal draft conditions. They have had a couple of back-puff incidents with the Resolute III, but not many. I don't see a lot of "flash-over" burns, where gasses build up in the box and then ignite all at once, in the Fv at my place. So I'm thinking this stove would be less prone to back-puff than the Resolute III. I've got over 16' though, and the Fv adds a 90* bend with the rear vent, where the Resolute is top-vent....
Woodstock recommends 15' for the Fv but I know that Dennis runs his on about 13' and says it works well, no smoke roll-out or back-puffing. That's north of the Arctic Circle, though... ;)
Anyone else here running an Fv on a short stack?

Not quite that far north yet Woody but you are pretty close on the pipe. I was thinking I had one shorter section in there but forgot that was one of the pieces I took back when we put this chimney up. So we have three 4' sections coming out of the tee.

From the stove the pipe runs horizontally about 16" then through a 10" wall into the tee then up along side the house. I've been toying with the idea of getting back that 4' section I took back and adding it to what we have. Trouble is, I don't remember the manufacturer of the chimney! It is not on the bill either and the stove company where we bought the chimney is no longer there. Hum....

Anyway we have had just a couple very minor back puffs but they were my fault and not the stoves. Weather was warmed a bit and I simply forgot to give the stove just a tad more draft than normal. Otherwise we have had no problems with this chimney and as you know, it has been 4 years since we've cleaned this chimney. So in 6 years with the Fireview, we've cleaned it exactly 1 time. This of course does not count the cleaning of the catalyst but there usually is so little fly ash there it is not worth counting. I simply brush the cat then vacuum around the gasket where the cat sits and then set the cat back in. Cleaning done.

So we have three 4' sections coming out of the tee.
Wow, 12' vertical and still working OK? From the responses here, I think there's a good chance that this setup may work without extra chimney pipe....

toying with the idea of getting back that 4' section I took back and adding it to what we have. Trouble is, I don't remember the manufacturer of the chimney
I don't know how similar the brands of Class A are, but I wonder if with good pics of the inside and outside of a section of that pipe, someone here would be able to ID it?

Yes, the pictures have crossed my mind. Now it is a case of getting up there to get one section down.... My body needs a bit more healing.

Status
Not open for further replies.