Fireview or stick with the NC-13?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
I may have a deal in the works for a 6 yr. old Fireview. Probably going to have to replace the Cat and a gasket or two. Don't really know if it's worth it, as the Fireview would probably set me back $11- 1200. I haven't made an offer yet. Think it's worth it? I can probably sell the NC-13 locally for about $700 to help recoup some of the cost.

How important is long burn time to you? 4 to 7 vs 6 to 12 hrs (guessing). Probably similar heat potential. I'd get a fireview...

For the cost of the Fireview and the replacement parts I would have $1,200 worth of wood delivered and keep on keeping on if the 13 will get the job done. And heat production wise it probably will.

Reactions: Dix
That 13 is a beast.

Hard to replace.

No doubt the 13 would heat that area just fine. The room it's going in is only 330 sq./ft., and the room above it is the same. That's the total amount of area I expect it to keep warm. I'm thinking more of extended burn times at this point. I'm out of the house 12 hrs. a day, just looking for an edge.

I may have a deal in the works for a 6 yr. old Fireview. Probably going to have to replace the Cat and a gasket or two. Don't really know if it's worth it, as the Fireview would probably set me back $11- 1200. I haven't made an offer yet. Think it's worth it? I can probably sell the NC-13 locally for about $700 to help recoup some of the cost.
If overnight burns are important to you (and they are to me) then go with the fireview. If not, then stick with what you already have.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
No doubt the 13 would heat that area just fine. The room it's going in is only 330 sq./ft., and the room above it is the same. That's the total amount of area I expect it to keep warm. I'm thinking more of extended burn times at this point. I'm out of the house 12 hrs. a day, just looking for an edge.

Tough call. The 13 gets 4-6 hours m ax on primo firewood.

I have the same issue going on, looking to add a 3rd stove, and keep the joint warm.

Reactions: Beetle-Kill
Really depends on what temperature ya need for that overnight burn. Todd could tell us what burn times the Fireview gets when you ask it to stretch its legs. He heated with one from the basement for a long time.

And finally put a Keystone upstairs and put his play stoves in the basement.

I hear you Dix. I'm only going to be able to feed it Pine, hence my concern with burn times.
The owner claims burn times of 8 hr. with Lodgepole, that gets me closer.
I doubt he'll go for my low-ball offer- he's asking $1900.

BB- if 'whatever' stove goes in there can stabilize temps. to 60 on average, I'll be good to go. If after 6-8-10 hrs. of burning the temp. drops back to 60 before I can re-load, that would work for me.

At two grand you aren't far off the price the Fireview goes on sale for damn near constantly. Their sales are as constant as Harbor Freight's. >>

$2,500 at the moment and then a $300 Fed tax credit. Either buy a new one or print that out from their website for negotiating leverage on the used one.

I would just spend the money on wood.

I hear you Dix. I'm only going to be able to feed it Pine, hence my concern with burn times.
The owner claims burn times of 8 hr. with Lodgepole, that gets me closer.
I doubt he'll go for my low-ball offer- he's asking $1900.

He's asking $1900 ?........Heh... that's funny. You can get a new one right now for $2500.......Any new stove after it has been used , even for a day loses 1/2 its value.........And being 6 years old on top of that, even more.

That price is a joke.......That Fireview is not worth more than $700................I wouldn't pay a dime more.

I don't think I'd pay over a grand for that stove unless it was rarely used. You may be able to purchase a refurb from Woodstock for that price.

As others have said if your looking for longer burn times the Fireview will do it for you and it will also give you a more even softer heat that may make it more comfortable in your smaller space.

And finally put a Keystone upstairs and put his play stoves in the basement.

I think I'm all done with my basement play stoves. That little gas stove is the chit and it only cost me $20 of NG last month to run it.

After getting some additional and extremely pertinent information, I offered $800 firm. Waiting for a response. Not holding my breath or even concerned.
Thanks all,for the input. JB

He (the craigslister) may need to come to his senses first.............jeeez

After getting some additional and extremely pertinent information, I offered $800 firm. Waiting for a response. Not holding my breath or even concerned.
Thanks all,for the input. JB

I would say you are at the right price with that. btw, we bought our Fireview in 2007 so we are talking about the same stove no doubt. Is it worth, or was it worth the dollars? Absolutely yes. However, you should also keep in mind that our price at that time was somewhere around 2200 (I'd have to look it up). So $800 to $850 would seem right to me.....but only if the stove is still in good shape. I'd certainly want to see it first.

Dennis, just got off the phone with him. He's mulling it over. I expect a counter offer, but he'll have to get used to disappointment, I'm not going higher. I'll keep this posted If I get it.
Heck, maybe I'll be the one to end the old debate about Woodstock vs. Blaze King? :rolleyes:!!!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
What I never see is what kinda space folks are heating with a Fireview. I know several have swapped it for the Progress to handle the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.