Fireview ordered!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
Well, I called Woodstock this morning and ordered the Fireview. It should be here by next week! I am sooooo looking forward to it. Of course this means it will warm up and we'll have no reason to use it.....but we will.

fv

Excellent.

Nice stove! What color did you get? What were you burning before?

Bill

Excellent choice! Pics if you get a chance.

I picked up our Fireview about this time of the year two years ago. We still had a few fires in May and June, with the windows open. Congratulations, you should be happy with it.

Fireview2788:

There are a few memorable events in one's life, like firing up a new fireview for the first time, getting your first grapple load of wood delivered, burning your first load of truly seasoned wood, etc.

Good luck with your new stove, it's a great one!

You are gonna love that stove.

I'd love to try one. Well done.

pen

Congrats, you purchased a fine stove. Take out your frustration of not burning by stocking up your wood supply.

Thanks everyone. We got it in grey. We liked the way the grey pulls the soapstone out a little more plus we have a red brick fireplace so the contrast will look great.

We were burning an open fireplace before (and never again). It's going to be a step by step install. My mom will be bringing down the slate from my dad's house in June for the front of the fireplace and then we'll have the stove installed. I already told my wife that I will be taking pics all along the way to show before and after.

fv

My SIL has a Fireview. I love that stove. Get ready to enjoy even heat and long burns! :coolsmile:

fireview2788 said:
Thanks everyone. We got it in grey. We liked the way the grey pulls the soapstone out a little more plus we have a red brick fireplace so the contrast will look great.

We were burning an open fireplace before (and never again). It's going to be a step by step install. My mom will be bringing down the slate from my dad's house in June for the front of the fireplace and then we'll have the stove installed. I already told my wife that I will be taking pics all along the way to show before and after.

fv

Sounds about like ours. No matter that you won't burn much until next fall as it is a beautiful stove and a nice addition to any room. Congratulations.

Congrats!

You'll love the stove. I have had mine (also metallic grey) for 2 yrs. Switched from a sheet metal stoves (Avalon) that I had burned for the last 25yrs. To make your first burns easier..... get some well seasoned wood. I would make sure I am really comfortable witht he stove operation before really dampening it down.

The initial break-in fires and your first few real fires you may be disappointed at the fogging of the front glass. I was real dissapointed and was even considering send the stove back. After a few fires that all stopped and the glass stays amazingly clean.... I probably only clean the glass 3-4 times a season and that is usually when company is comming over.

Be sure to post some pics when it is installed.

Rick D

For sure do the good break in fires. We did get black glass with our first burn-in fires and have not had black glass since that time. Our break-in fires went something like this:

1. First fire was some kindling only. Light the fire and then just let it burn right out. Then wait a bit.

2. Second fire was more kindling but this time a split on top of the kindling. We may have used 2 small splits but right now I don't remember. Just remember that you don't want a hot fire. Let this fire burn out and wait some more.

3. Third and final break-in fire was kindling and 3 or 4 splits; certainly not a full stove full of wood! Again, let the fire burn until it goes out.

4. Now enjoy that stove as you are all ready for a full burn whenever.

Also remember that the stone should hot be heated up a bit slower than cast or steel. Yet, it need not take hours either. We usually have good heat within 45 minutes or less. We could have it faster but I do not think that would be a good idea in case there were some moisture in the stone.

You will find that the cat is held in with two long bolts. You will have to remove those before lifting out the cat when it comes time for cleaning. They are shipping bolts and do not have to be replaced but you might want to screw them back in by hand just to be sure you have the cat sitting correctly. We do that because one time in my haste I put the cat in and started the stove going good but the cat wasn't working. After the fire burned down I figured out why. It was simple to just reach in and slide the cat back a bit. For some reason I must have been in a hurry or just not paying attention. No harm done but we didn't have the use of the cat for that fire.

Naturally Woodstock says to wait until the stove is cold before cleaning the cat. We never do but do wait until most of the coals have burned down. So long as you have a good pair of gloves you are okay. But, this country is full of attorneys who love to find silly things to sue with so all companies have to try to cover their assetts.

Backwoods, how long after the fire burns down do you start another one? An hour, two hours, a day? Thanks for the info, I'm going to have a bunch of questions in the very near future.

fv

A couple hours should do the trick. It seems to me that we did our stove with the initial fire one evening. The next morning we did the next and that evening we did the third. Then we waited a couple days for some cooler weather and it seems that we may have got the stove top to 500 or thereabouts but you could take it higher at that point with no problem. I do recall that we took out stove over 600 after only a couple of burns and then one evening we were a bit anxious when it looked like the pits of Hell itself in there and the temperature kept climbing. I got really anxious when it got to about 670 and then 680. It stopped climbing either at 680 or 690. After that I relaxed and now we can take the stove to that temperature on a regular basis and it feels good. But that one night I do remember that it did get a bit hot in here. I'm not sure if it was all heat from the stove or heat from me sweating just thinking about that temperature. lol

For sure you will have more questions and we encourage you to ask and keep on asking.

We just had our new Fireview installed today. He has to come down to finish the attic and through the roof another day as the weather is inclemnent. Ours is the standard 6 inches from the wall which is good for double wall pipe, but it makes me a little nervous. Not sure if we are going to put something on the wall or not.
Stove looks real good. My pics won't load up right on this site. If I ever figure it out I will post some.

Sappy, even regular drywall might cure your nervousness. But Mike knows what he is doing, so just enjoy it!

Fireview has been delivered....sorta. My buddy has it at his shop and will be "dropping" it off this week.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.