Fireview report

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoInferno

Minister of Fire
Finally got a chance to run the Fireview for a while over the break. Some random observations:

1. No draft issues with my direct-connect to an 8" AC chimney, unless you count the initial startup. But the stove and the rest of the house were 25 degrees at that point, and 8 degrees outside. Not ideal.

2. It did at least as well as I expected at heating the whole house (a well sealed and insulated 2000 sqft, but a volume closer to 2600 or so). Which is to say, the main open area was toasty with the back rooms cooler but livable. Burned very little propane after the first night. Because it's somewhat undersized and the temps were usually low I rarely ran the stove on low. Almost always had decent primary flame, and when I was home I reloaded fairly often. Still burned a whole lot less wood than last year.

3. The stove really likes to cruise at 500 (stovetop). I pushed it as high as 650, but that took a lot more air. Unlike my steel stoves you have lots of time after the flames die down to reload and keep the temp up around 500. The extra heat storage really helps keep a consistent output.

4. Even after 12 hours I could always open up the air and damper, toss in full-size splits, and have a roaring fire almost immediately. The stovetop would read about 200, but the firebox was still quite hot w/ plenty of coals. Probably the most impressive aspect of the soapstone. My Ultima would require kindling and maybe newspaper after that long.

5. Temp of stovepipe about 1' back was 350 under full burn when the stovetop was around 550. Much cooler than my Napoleon at that distance.

6. Never did empty ashes but it needed it after 10 days.

7. It's a lot easier to burn down coals in a side loader, since you can just shove them all up to the front without spillage.

8. I do wish the door opening was a little bigger and a little more regular-shaped. Large splits were hard to maneuver in there. I may have to start splitting smaller. I also wish the door handle was insulated.

9. I have no idea why a bottom heat shield is needed, it was always cool to the touch.

Anyway, I was suitably impressed and now just wish I had that stove in my primary residence.

Discoinferno: Thanks for the great post. What kind of wood are you burning to get the good 12 hour reloads? I do well reloading after 8 hours but longer burns need some kindling.My wood is a little punky, though.Glad to hear you can heat the 2000 sq ft in cold weather, it gives me confidence if I get better windows and add more attic insulation that my Fireview will do better with my 2100 sq ft. Below 25 degrees and especially with high winds my Fireview is working a little too hard.

For the long burns I packed sugar maple, beech, and yellow birch in there as tight as possible. They are all high-btu species. In order to get a good reload after 12 hours I did run the air pretty low, but I was impressed with both the quantity of coals remaining and the ease with which they fired up when the air was opened.

We're on the lake and had constant high winds to go with the cold for several days. I was real happy that the wind didn't seem to make it any harder to maintain mid-70's inside. Modern house wrap, windows, and insulation codes go a long way.

Thanks for the info!! Glad to hear the Fireview is doing a decent job of heating what is about the size our house will eventually be. Plus, it's not as cold here so it should do even better.

Thanks again!

Kenny<>{
John 3:16

Good post DiscoInferno.

Am I right that this stove is at your second home at Munising? It sounds like you did very well.

When you say you did not run the stove on low, what does that mean on the dial? Did you run it at 1 or maybe even 1.5? It doesn't seem possible that you could run it any higher for sure.

Here is one more point about the Fireview. Has anyone else noticed that many times if you have the draft, say at 1 and then turn it down to .5 that the flame actually increases?! It still amazes me. We were talking about that last evening and I showed someone. I had the draft actually on 1.5 and then turned it down to .5 and immediately the flame increased. It did settle down some after a bit but it is nice to watch.

Yes, it's in Munising. It replaced (actually vents through) the mostly useless prefab fireplace we have there.

Low (meaning little/no flame, just a glowing cat) seemed to be somewhere in the 0.5-0.75 range for me. Maybe I could go even lower, not sure at what point you just get a box full of black charcoal. Where I was mostly running it was in the 0.75-1.25 range. I only used settings higher than that right before and after reloading or to burn down coals.

I think I know what you mean about the flames; they do somewhat dramatically slow down and expand away from the wood more and start to jump up to the top of the firebox when I turn it down enough.

Good review Disco. I agree the door could be better, probably the only thing I don't like about this stove. Once I turn my stove down below .5 everything in the fire box goes black but the cat can still be glowing bright red. I like to keep some red in the coals and a little flame otherwise the splits in the back don't seem to burn down and leave big unburnt chunks.

Todd, last night all we had was some red coals and the stove zoomed up to almost 700. During that time there was no flame. But then the flame started and the temperature stayed between 650-700 for quite some time. I kept track because I do get nervous when it is up around 700. Dang that heat felt good though. lol

Disco, you no doubt will find that you try several different ways on your settings and will eventually find what is ideal for your setup. Good luck.

Might take a while to completely master it, given the current winter usage of less than 2 weeks a year. But even slightly suboptimal was pretty good. And I imagine it'll still be there in 30 years or so when I retire. Along with a substantial amount of wood.

DiscoInferno said:
Might take a while to completely master it, given the current winter usage of less than 2 weeks a year. But even slightly suboptimal was pretty good. And I imagine it'll still be there in 30 years or so when I retire. Along with a substantial amount of wood.

Ah! It is a vacation/2nd home! Now it makes sense. I was trying to figure out why in the hell it was 25 degrees in your house.

Yeah, I'm too cheap to pay someone to go in early and warm it up. Need to toughen up the kids anyway, living in DC is making them soft weather-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.