Fireview scoop screen cleaning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
Yesterday as I was watching the cat kick in to a hot red burn (one of my favorite things :red: ) I noticed that the holes in the screen on the scoop looked like it was getting clogged with fly ash. This morning, before getting the fire going from the coals, I used a soft brush and brushed off the screen. Worked great on the screen but not too kind to the brush (external temp of the stove was still over 250F). :shut:

So do I need to worry about this or just do it when I do my periodic cleaning. Obviously the thing will work better when clean and air flow is strong but I'm just curious.

f v

I bought a long handled grill brush just for that purpose.

Attachments

• 100_1629.jpg
    100_1629.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 183
I haven't had much problem with my screen being clogged or the cat - but my wood is mainly oak and locust. I might try the steel brush like Todd has - good idea.

Worse case, I'd say if you are not getting back puffing, you are probably OK until your normal downtime cleaning schedule dictates.

Bill

Is this the original scoop, expanded metal or new ss one?

I have the stainless scoop and I've noticed that the screen has some ash on it. I wouldn't think that it's enough to make a difference yet. But I'll brush it off when I clean the cat. Maybe take a shop vac to it.

Todd, that's perfect! I'm getting one.

I'm assuming that it's SS since the stove is new this year. I haven't seen a problem yet but thought I'd ask.

fv

I haven't used the brush much yet this year but have noticed you can get a slight build up of brown soot on that screen at times.

This was really light and I probably could have blown it off with a little lung power if I could get the right angle.

f v

fireview2788 said:
This was really light and I probably could have blown it off with a little lung power if I could get the right angle.

f v

Yep, same thing I see after about a month of burning. You could probably just bang the bottom of the scoop with the door tool and it would fall off.

I remember cleaning ours one time...

Status
Not open for further replies.