Fireview Smoke Smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
This is my third season with a woodstock fireview. I have good draft up a 25 ft flue. It is centrally located on the first floor.

We were awakened on the second floor by a smoke smell last night. No flames in the firebox so I opened the draft to create some to help burn off smoke inside. I figured a bunch of smoke built up with a poor draft and the pressure was so great the smoke forced its way out.

Started another fire this morning. Three hours later, same thing, but we noticed it sooner. Turned up the air hoping that will take care of it. I could not see any smoke rising from the stove or pipes. Smoke detectors and CO detectors did not go off. Batteries are good in all.

Question: When I inspect the stove early this evening after it has cooled, what should I look for besides obvious cracks and worn gaskets? thanks.

I would be more interested in the pipe than the stove. I would check all the joints everywhere I could within the envelope of the home, from stove on up.

Open the top lid and look for discolored gaskets. If you have spots that are discolored, that is where it has leaked. Perhaps this is only from back puffing but perhaps not. It is easy to change the gasket if need be. Also, Woodstock sells a kit that has all the stoves gaskets included.

While you are at it, also check the firebox door and do the dollar bill test on that. And, of course, check the chimney.

Good luck.

Hang your head over the door and see if you can smell smoke. I had that problem before and it turned out to be the door gasket. Might just need a little tightening?

Swept chimney & cleaned cap throughly 3 weeks ago. Did dollar bill test. Found a small area in the back near the cat lever where cement seemed to be flaking off. Did not observe smoke anywhere.

However, I tried pushing the stove toward the pipe tighter and was able to move it 1/2 inch to an inch. Maybe recently when I wasn't home: no flame, smoke built up, then a whoosh as it ignited. Woke me up in the middle of the night twice a few years back when I was burning a homestead. Thought a bomb had dropped. Perhaps that moved the pipe slightly letting smoke out.

That could be possible I guess but moving that almost 500 pound rock would take a huge explosion!

So what have you found out so far Vic?

Status
Not open for further replies.