Fireview startup - flame height in "baffle"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnerPB

Sep 17, 2009
CNY
I just thought I would ask to see how others flame height is on start up.

When I start up a new fire or even when reloading, the flames go into the "baffle" where it connects to the "t" on the stovepipe. I follow the Fireview manual, until it states to damper down to a level between 3-2. I find that I have to go to 2-1.25 so the stovepipe does not get too hot (600-800 degrees with a Condar flue thermometer) and so I can keep the flames from getting to high. I like to keep the flue thermometer's (18" above stove top) temperature reading no more than 600 degrees. Any higher and the stovepipe starts to smell and the smoke alarm sometime goes off.

Has anyone else had this "problem" on start up or when reloading? I have a double-wall stovepipe and selkirk class A SS chimney. It is in total about 25-30' in height with an offset in attic(30 degree).

Mike

Since the bypass is in the rear of the stove it has a direct shot up the pipe so I can easily get over 1000 degree internal. I have found during reloads that all you need for air is #2 or less otherwise it will take off like a rocket. On cold starts I will use full air just at the beginning then bring it down below #2. You should do a couple burns to achieve over 1000 pipe temp just to cure the paint and get rid of the smell. Mine doesn't smell no more but did every time the pipe temp got higher.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting those temperatures - although the Fireview tends to maintain much lower flue temps, I can attest to the fact that running higher temps does not hurt the connector pipe at all. Last year with the old stove I ran surface temps of 450-500 as a norm since that is just was was required in order to get a clean burn with the 'everburn' on that stove. Given that is a surface temp, it would translate to 900-1K internal on your probe... I had a pretty clean pipe overall but not nearly as clean as I had expected in the connector. So, during startup and reload if the temps go up to 800, don't panic.

I'll bet that the FV isn't putting enough gunk into the connector to get you in trouble - if you are worried about that, wait a month or so then do an inspection. I've been looking up as far as I can see after each burn and I don't see much in mine and all fires have been short - only one with a reload so in theory worst case scenario. So far inside doesn't look bad to me, looks dark and dry - brown dust is all I get when I run my hand in there. Old stove pipe was black gunk.

Todd,

Thanks for the reply. I thought maybe it was just my particular installation and location (hilly central ny with high winds).

About how far up is safe regarding flame height? Basically, I have looked through the front glass with a flashlight on start ups at the bypass into the 't' of the stove pipe and have seen flames curling up just into the stove pipe. Is that normal?

Mike

Slow1,

Is that an older stove that you ran those temps on?

Also, a neat thing about a probe thermometer is that you can pull it out (while stove is not running) and see how you burned. In the few fires that I had this past few weeks, I also have seen mostly brown soot/powder.

Mike

MacPB said:
Todd,

Thanks for the reply. I thought maybe it was just my particular installation and location (hilly central ny with high winds).

About how far up is safe regarding flame height? Basically, I have looked through the front glass with a flashlight on start ups at the bypass into the 't' of the stove pipe and have seen flames curling up just into the stove pipe. Is that normal?

Mike

It can't be helped with the way this stove is designed, just don't let it go full bore for awhile and engage the cat or you may draw all that flame into the cat and shock it. Full air is only needed at the very beginning of start up for the wood to ignite and warm the chimney, after that I like to turn it down below#2, sometimes below#1.

MacPB said:
Slow1,

Is that an older stove that you ran those temps on?

Also, a neat thing about a probe thermometer is that you can pull it out (while stove is not running) and see how you burned. In the few fires that I had this past few weeks, I also have seen mostly brown soot/powder.

Mike

That was with a VC Encore NC - 2008 model. As you can imagine, I'm expecting a lot less heat to head up the chimney this year and thus more warmth in the house for each load of wood carried in.

BurnerPB, you should realize that everyone will not have the exact same experience. For instance, I usually run our stove with less air than Todd, but we are both happy. On the flame issue, I agree with Todd that it really is a non-issue; just dial it down a bit when the flue temp goes up.

We are like Todd in that on reloads, we don't have it up on 4 very long at all. Usually just a couple of minutes before going to 2. Many times when it is time (10-15 minutes) to engage the cat we drop to 1. Just a few minutes later we may well drop it to .25 or .5.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.