Fireview wood consumption questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Calling all Fireview owners :)

I'm curious to know just how much wood can realistically be burned when heating with this stove. This question is somewhat of a tangent from a discussion in another thread and I wanted to open another one to get a wider audience and hopefully get more responses. So here goes...

Questions:

Note: All apply to peak heating season - 24/7 burning with cold weather for your climate.

1) How often do you feed the stove? - full loads or a few pieces at a time EDIT: Please read this as "How many times in a 24 hr period do you load the stove on average"
2) What kind of wood are you burning?
3) How warm do you keep your home and how cold is it outside (average inside/outside delta?) and how large is the area you are heating?
4) During this time period, how many cords of wood/month would you estimate you are burning? (this hopefully will normalize for size of splits/packing abilities etc).

Thanks!

1) How often do you feed the stove? - full loads or a few pieces at a time

We do both. Most often a few pieces at a time during the day. Those can be the oddball pieces that don't like to fit when you want to stock the stove or maybe some less than desirable wood. Then stock it full before hitting the sack. If we are to be gone all day we will also stock it right up during the coldest part of the winter.

Ash, elm, soft maple, cherry, oak. Pretty much in that order too.

3) How warm do you keep your home and how cold is it outside (average inside/outside delta?) and how large is the area you are heating?

Normally 80 degrees or so all heating season. Outdoors can be from -20 to 40. Somewhere around 1,000 sq. ft.

4) During this time period, how many cords of wood/month would you estimate you are burning? (this hopefully will normalize for size of splits/packing abilities etc).

We've had the Fireview for 2 full heating seasons. Both years we burned almost exactly 3 cords.

Hope that helps you Slow1.

Dennis - to clarify #1 How many times on average do you actually load in a 24hr period?

Thanks I think it will help if we can get others to chime in - there are so many variables that it will take a lot of data points to spot any sort of pattern/trends.

Slow1 said:

I'm curious to know just how much wood can realistically be burned when heating with this stove. This question is somewhat of a tangent from a discussion in another thread and I wanted to open another one to get a wider audience and hopefully get more responses. So here goes...

Questions:

Note: All apply to peak heating season - 24/7 burning with cold weather for your climate.

1) How often do you feed the stove? - full loads or a few pieces at a time EDIT: Please read this as "How many times in a 24 hr period do you load the stove on average"

Thanks!

1. 1,2 or 3 loads per day depending on the outside temps and weather and most of the time I like to burn full loads, for those take the chill off shoulder season fires, 1/2- 3/4 loads.
2. Black Locust, Oak mostly but have an assortment of others.
3. 1800 sq ft, try to keep the upstairs above 70 and downstairs is always warmer.
4. Last 3 years were same as Dennis, 3 cords on average.

I agree it is best to have as many chime in as possible. Especially because we all live in different areas of the country. You may not get as cold as we do and we don't get as cold as they do in Wisconsin either, thanks to the Great Lakes.

It is just so hard to say how many times we put wood in because it varies so darned much. Today we put wood in once. Winter, say a high temperature of 20 and a low of zero we would put wood in early morning and probably again around noon. Again a light load maybe 4-5:00 and then stock up for the night.

If the daytime temperature is 30 or above, we don't put much in at all. Same goes for night temperatures. Above 20 it doesn't take a lot of wood to keep us warm.

Many times we will go to bed really early and just lay there reading (we don't watch tv). Those times I might add some wood during the night because I am up at various times every night and we like an even temperature in the house rather than the highs and lows that most get when heating with wood.

Pretty much always 3 times a day in real heating season; stuff it in the AM, reload after work, maybe another couple splits at bedtime. 70+ degrees inside, to 0 outside. 1200 sq ft house, expanding to 1800 this year but also with much improved insulation. Burned 2 cords of oak last year from Dec 10 on (stove installation); this year picked up a lot of ice storm pine so we'll see. Happy with the stove; doesn't take many attention units to keep it going.

We use the stove (Fireview) to keep the "apartment" (1250 sq.ft. of second floor primary living area) cozy while minimizing oil consumption. Our home is well insulated and we use 1-1 1/2 cord/season (maple and oak). We feed the stove in the morning when we get up and let it do its thing while we're at work, allowing the sunshine to keep the house warm as the stove cools down. I'll toss a few splits in when I return home mid-afternoon. And we'll load it up before hitting the hay. The apartment area is in the low 70s and very comfortable. Typical winter temperatures vary from the low teens to low 30s; zero and below are rare for us near the ocean. We tend our stove much the way Savage and his ornery wife seem to.

I expect similar to slightly less wood consumption out in my studio (a Classic). This will be the first season I've really had an opportunity to use it and I'm excited about it!

Slow1 said:

Questions:

Thanks!

1. Three full loads over a 24hr period. Full load at 5am when I get up, 1/2load at lunch, 1/2 load when I get home from work, and a full load at 10pm.

2. Elm, Silver maple, box elder, saving the red/white oak for coldest nights.

3. I shoot for 70F. Temps outside Jan-Feb (peak) 0-20F. 1000 sq ft main floor, 600 sq ft 2nd floor.

4. Only know cords per season and that is ~2.5 cords. This is the start of my third year burning and first year with a 2nd wood stove. The second stove replaced a pellet stove which was used as fill heat when we were away, used in this manner it went thru
1 ton of pellets. I'm hoping with the 2nd wood stove the consumption will not exceed 3 cords.

Ok so far we have 5 responses and the distribution of total consumption for season (in cords) is: - mostly hardwoods too it seems

3, 3, 2, 1.5, 2.5

Interesting that so far the highest per season reported is 3 cords... Someone out there must put more than that through this stove in a year don't you think?

Size distribution:

1000, 1800, 1200, 1250, 1600

Any more folks willing to share their historical data?

Status
Not open for further replies.