Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thing you checked. It looks like they are only 8-10" shy of doing it correctly. :rolleyes: Bricked in there should be 12" brick in each direction from the nearest wood.

It looks like you will need to remove the brick and the horiz wood below the thimble in order to properly install an insulated thimble that will work with these clearances. The insulated thimble is centered on the pipe, not offset as the current installation. The picture I notice a heat shield on the stove pipe which is good if the pipe is closer than 18" to the wall.

can I keep the existing brick and just add more to make it 12 inches in each directions?
It's an option if you can do it all the way through the wall to the chimney.
Also, if I'm reading it right the insul-flue says I can be 2'' away from the nearest compostable.

Correct. Somewhat the same thing with the Saf-T-Flue. That's why it works in between studs.

I currently have a Fireview, and a clay lined flu. My thimble is galvanized passing through stone and cement however. The Fireview is pretty easy on the flu because when the CAT is engaged it keeps heat in the stove and keeps stack and flu temps down. The one thing that kills clay tiles is too much heat, and direct flame will crack them quickly. With the Fireview, be careful not to open the bypass when the stove is loaded and really burning....flame will quickly draw up your flu and start licking those tiles and lead to cracking. I've ran mine for 12 years now, and have several cracks in my liner so I'm in the process of repairing. I'm on the schedule for next month to breakout and remove my clay lines, and installed a 6" stainless / Titanium liner with 1" insulated wrap and mesh over that. The thimble is coming out to and will be swapped with a stainless one. Personally I think clay tile is much more suited to fireplaces, oil furnaces, etc. With a wood stove, it's not a matter of if they crack....it's when...and they will. Luckily, the fix isn't too expensive and will result in a better and much safer setup...and you're good for life as long as you keep it clean, practice good burning habits, etc.

Correct, you turn your bypass off when you open the door, but try not to open the door during a good burn. I wait until things simmer down to red coals. If there's flame it'll head right up the flu once the door opens.

I'm paying $3200 to have my new liner done.

Thanks MJFlores. Any other tips you have about using the fireview. I ordered the insul flue and will be fixing my thimble this week. $3200 is a little out of my price range are there any other cheaper options?

Status
Not open for further replies.