Fireview ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad S.

Nov 27, 2007
West Bend WI
I am wondering if the OAK hookup is dead center on the stove and approx how high from the bottom of the hookup to the ground it is? I have the unit here, but do not want to open it until I am ready to move it for the last time. This bugger is HEAVY!!

It's left of the rear exhaust about 18" off the floor. I dug up an old picture, not a great one but it should give you an idea where it is.

Attachments

• 100_0574.jpg
    100_0574.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 167
I'll jump in with my question since the topic has been raised - is the FV OAK closer to an airtight connection or basically an opening near the air intake? What I'm wondering is whether or not it makes a pretty closed system of combustion air from outside->firebox->flue or if it allows for air to come from the house as well (other than when the door is open). Another way of looking at it is this - when stove is not being used will the OAK be a leak of air into the house?

It's not air tight, basically it's a box that attaches underneath the air slide and it has a square cut out for the air slide lever so there is no way to make it air tight and it also allowed some room air to be drawn in. I wasn't very impressed with it and took it off after I found it hard to control the cold air pushing into the stove since I had to run it up my basement wall and out through the sill plate.

Thanks Todd. Did you use galvinized 4" pipe and paint it? I can not find 4" non-galvinized pipe with adj. elbows anywhere and from what I understand, paint will not stick to the galvinized.

It was cheap aluminum dryer vent and yes I painted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.