firewall insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsai

Aug 29, 2010
Oregon
Anyone replaced the insulation/gasket on the back of the firewall behind the burnpot? If so, what material did you use?

I have an 10-year-old Integra that works great, but just noticed a small area--about 2 inches square--that's missing on the backside of the lower cast wall, just in front of the heat exchanger tubes. It's purpose I'm guessing is to keep the heat tubes from getting too hot and warping. I'd like to repair it with high heat insulation material, like head gasket material, with silicone, but for higher temps.

I can order a new piece that's made to fit ($36) which is fine, but a stove tech guy I talked to said the replacement insulation doesn't hold last nearly as long as the original. Anyone have any thoughts on where to get a small amount of high temp insulation--about 1/32 thick?

I'm guessing that you're talking about an Austroflamm Integra?

Only place that I know of that sells parts for them is Wood Heat Stoves. Dave Gault is a forum member here and goes by "Wood Heat Stoves" name. You can take a look at the link below, but if the gasket material is not listed, try contactiing Dave by PM or email....he may know how or where to get the gasket material.

http://woodheatstoves.com/austroflamm-integra-c-292_90_99_183_296.html

OH, and BTW, welcome to the forum. We'd love to see pics of your stove!

And for future reference, it helps to put what stove you have in your Topic title, and also in your signature line so we don't have to ask again, or guess! LOL

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help you with the insulation issue except to say what it protects varies with its placement, its purpose is to provide a fairly large temperature difference from the fire side to what is behind it.

You are correct in considering replacing it, usually the high temperature limit switch will prevent metal parts from warping, however there are other things on the "cool" side of that insulation that can go poof.

If Man-Machine sees this thread he can add a long list of those things.

johnsai said:
Anyone replaced the insulation/gasket on the back of the firewall behind the burnpot? If so, what material did you use?

I have an 10-year-old Integra that works great, but just noticed a small area--about 2 inches square--that's missing on the backside of the lower cast wall, just in front of the heat exchanger tubes. It's purpose I'm guessing is to keep the heat tubes from getting too hot and warping. I'd like to repair it with high heat insulation material, like head gasket material, with silicone, but for higher temps.

I can order a new piece that's made to fit ($36) which is fine, but a stove tech guy I talked to said the replacement insulation doesn't hold last nearly as long as the original. Anyone have any thoughts on where to get a small amount of high temp insulation--about 1/32 thick?

the only thin high temp insulating material i know of is lytherm
http://woodheatstoves.com/lytherm-gasket-by-square-foot-raw-material-p-12444.html

prolly not too durable if exposed to the firebox though

John,

Could you post a picture so we can be certain of the function being provided.

As Dave said there is a big difference between gasket material and insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.