Firewood + a little work =

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhambi

Burning Hunk
Sep 10, 2010
UT
A nice little Christmas gift!

After making an aspen log bed out of some of last seasons firewood, I decided on something a little easier this year...

I took some Rocky Mountain Juniper I had cut and made a simple box as a Christmas gift. Too bad I'm not a cigar smoker... this wood would make a great humidor.

Anyway here it is. Not too bad for not having a planer/joiner and other 'nice' shop tools...

wu2eqw.jpg

The inside is unfinished and smells very 'cedar-y'. Sorry about the dark pics... doesn't show off how purple/red this wood really is. I'll have to try and get some daylight pics.

90sfat.jpg

And the good news is, if I run out of firewood I can still toss this in the old stove... :supergrin:

Very nice piece!

Absolutely beautiful . . . very, very nice.

No planer or joiner? Wow, that's really good then. Getting good seams is hard to do with the "proper" tools. You must have some patience.

The grain and color remind me of a massive Japanese Yew bush in our yard when we moved into this house. The bush was ugly as sin, but the wood was beautiful....looked just like that when I cut the stump.

That is beautiful Mhambi.....I would love one of those for a jewelry box.... :)
Nice work!

Very nice work, really neat grain there.

At least you could burn the offcuts...... ;-)

Good work that looks sweet now you can make them give them to me and I can sell them for 10 times what they are worth and give you one percent :lol: ;-)

Thats a joke by the way !
Pete

GAMMA RAY said:
That is beautiful Mhambi.....I would love one of those for a jewelry box.... :)
Nice work!

But it would have to be much, much larger!

Excellent work.

That is beautiful. It must smell great. I love the smell of juniper. I like to drink it on occasion too. :coolsmirk:

Thanks all!

The process I went through was as follows:

Use chainsaw to cut 2" or so slabs
Use table saw to cut to square and then to size. Throw a bunch out.
Find the 'cleanest and squarest' pieces and sand with the orbital sander. See how they fit. Throw a bunch out.
Glue and clamp into large pieces (front/back, sides, lid, bottom), and then cut to size
Glue and clamp box together. Add a couple of hidden finish nails (I' wasn't doing biscuits or anything so I thought this would help)
Cheat and add a little wood filler to a few places.
Cut out hinge areas
Final sand then finish with Deft lacquer
Attach hinges and then polish.

...very nice, ...looks a lot like cedar, ...but bery purplish :)

Status
Not open for further replies.