Firewood addiction?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mole

Oct 23, 2008
Western NY
I've been burning wood for 98%+ of my heat for 23 years now. I only have about 4 acres of woods, not enough to supply my needs, so it has become ingrained in me to gather firewood whenever the opportunity arises. I typically remove trees for neighbors and friends. They get rid of the trees for free. I get the wood. Everyone wins. The last 3-4 years, the wood has been accumulating. Make hay while the sun shines, as they say. I didn't think much of it. But now I'm starting to wonder... I have two wood sheds which are full with a combined 10-1/2 cords. I used 3-1/2 cords last winter for heat plus DHW. So I'm all set for next winter to say the least. Now more rows are starting to build outside the wood shed again. I know I'm all set, but I don't seem to be able to say "no" to free wood. Do I need counseling? Is there anyone else out there with the same affliction? Is this OCD?

Well we all know you are sick but that is besides the point! I think the tendency to hoard hard found/needed items is normal. Especially if you have ever gone through any financial hard times. Which I am sure we all have. The news announced yesterday that the Fed is going to quadruple the tax on oil to help pay for the oil spill. I say take all you can get!!

You sound pretty normal to me. LOL Anyone who burns wood knows you can really never have enough. I have enough wood for 5 years right now, and I'm always scrounging up anything I can find still. You never know when a few "lean" years might come along. Like they say... "get while the gettins good" !!

Last year I took a big hit and was unemployed for the first time ever in my life . Being single with a house and car payment meant there was little left over . I soon found out my extra 8 cords of 5 year seasoned ,inside stored red oak became a valuble resource for some extra income .
Do you feel the need for a new saw or splitter ??

Any time you can take control over some aspect of your life you are a little ahead of the game, as long as the wood does not rot I say go for it.

webie said:
Last year I took a big hit and was unemployed for the first time ever in my life . Being single with a house and car payment meant there was little left over . I soon found out my extra 8 cords of 5 year seasoned ,inside stored red oak became a valuble resource for some extra income .
Are you selling?

Well it makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one with a bit of a firewood obsession, but I have to chuckle. Asking that question in the boiler room is kind of like asking the guy on the next stool over in a bar if he thinks I have a drinking problem!

Patch53 , A 5 yr supply!! Holy cow!! It's no wonder you're laughing!

Webie, You're in a league of your own, man, with all that equipment. Did you buy out a tree cutting business or something? Is that the next sign? Getting the urge to buy more saws and splitters? Maybe I'm OK then. I've been satisfied with what I 've got for a few years now. ! But I'll admit I still get a rush when I fire up the Stihl 066 - makes the hairs on my arms stand up!

Yes I have a firewood problem only because its a bi-product of chainsaws......

oldspark said:
webie said:
Are you selling?

Wood ? Chainsaws ?

I dont pay for wood and depending on how much a person is willing to pay for it , Its for sale Heck I must be down to like about a 5-6 year supply . Chainsaws I am always in the market to buy and sell

webie said:
oldspark said:
webie said:
Are you selling?

Wood ? Chainsaws ?

I dont pay for wood and depending on how much a person is willing to pay for it , Its for sale Heck I must be down to like about a 5-6 year supply . Chainsaws I am always in the market to buy and sell
Misunderstood your post I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.