Firewood - as easy as 1,2,3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
The target:
IMG_4782.jpg

The cuttin':
IMG_4784.jpg

The splittin':
IMG_4786.jpg

The stackin':
IMG_4789.jpg

Really great pics! Looks like some real decent firewood too..

Thanx for the pics!

Ray

Thanks, Quads. Super fall day in your woods.
Since you only cut up fallen trees, and this one looks like its been down for a few years: do you find they are a bit softer than freshly cut standing trees?
Do you think you end up with less BTU's per cord than most of us who start with green wood?
I've got almost no windfalls on my property. I cut it down as I go.
I'm not putting your system down. I greatly respect your cleaning and clearing. I'm sure your acreage is very tidy!
:)

I can use small stacks like that to analyze what the local squirrels' diets are.
Right now it seems to be pine nuts. Either that or they just get thier kicks sitting atop on the stack shredding pine cones.

Thanks Quads

Makes me want to go to the woods right now!!!!

Billy

maplewood said:
Since you only cut up fallen trees, and this one looks like its been down for a few years: do you find they are a bit softer than freshly cut standing trees?
Do you think you end up with less BTU's per cord than most of us who start with green wood?
I'm not putting your system down. I greatly respect your cleaning and clearing. I'm sure your acreage is very tidy!
Actually, that one had been down only a few days, maybe a week at most. Otherwise, it was standing dead for 5-10(?) years with no bark on it. I clean them up pretty quick after they fall. When they are touching the ground, it doesn't take too many years for parts of them to start getting punky.

I find the ones that die from oak wilt and then stand dead, with the bark off, are harder than heck. The same or more BTUs than starting with a green one.

billb3 said:
I can use small stacks like that to analyze what the local squirrels' diets are.
Right now it seems to be pine nuts. Either that or they just get thier kicks sitting atop on the stack shredding pine cones.
And the mice hide acorns in the spaces between the splits. Or sometimes shredded mushrooms and fungus and blades of grass.

All I can say is that I am wishin I had some wood to cut right now!

quads said:
maplewood said:
Actually, that one had been down only a few days, maybe a week at most. Otherwise, it was standing dead for 5-10(?) years with no bark on it. I clean them up pretty quick after they fall. When they are touching the ground, it doesn't take too many years for parts of them to start getting punky.

I find the ones that die from oak wilt and then stand dead, with the bark off, are harder than heck. The same or more BTUs than starting with a green one.
Here is a short video of a couple splits from the stack pictured above:

Status
Not open for further replies.