Firewood book

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

REF1

Feeling the Heat
Oct 13, 2009
South West, VA
Has anyone ever compiled a book of what various woods look like on the inside, once split open for firewood.

I just got a reference book for trees. Good book, but so many barks look the same. Here in the new woods I'm living in I am encountering many more trees I've never seen before, rather than typical maple, oak and birch up North. I've cut up lots of dead trees either standing or on the ground. Many have no bark anymore, and inside they have colors and textures I've never seen before.

Everything is leafing out here in the next couple of weeks, so for standing live trees I'll be able to identify. But I'm really curious what I'm cutting up for firewood right now.

I think that you have an excellent idea there; it would be a lot of work, time consuming and costly but it could be done. Great idea there...

I started on one but other jobs seemed to get in the way. I intended to make something that showed leaves, difference between young and old trees, difference in the bark at the bottom of the tree vs. the top and finally the difference in the grain. It would be a huge job and perhaps some day I'll finish but have lots of projects ahead of it.

On the other hand, I think Woodbutcher has made something showing the bark and perhaps some of the grains. I'm sure he will post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.