Firewood carrier suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
I'm on the lookout for a very durable firewood carrier for when we bring firewood up from the rack. I've bought the cheap pseudo-canvas ones from lowes that are overpriced for lasting a winter, maybe two. I considered making my own but wasn't sure if leather or canvas would be a good option, or if there is a bombproof one online somewhere. Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I use 5 gal buckets, can't fit a ton but it is easy carrying 2 of them at a time because of the handles, so, how about a basket with handles or a big plastic container.....I also fill wheel barrows and keep it covered in a good spot for me to get it.....

A plastic tote the same size as your firebox. It contains the wood drippings and each full tote is a full stove load. I am considering building a wood box for next to the stove that the tote will fit into. Load tote, store in box next to stove - ready for action. Dump the crud the next time you are pulling wood off your stacks.

Ditto on five gallon buckets. I've even scrounged a couple metal ones from the job site that iron workers get their bolts in. They have a rustic look. The best thing about buckets is they hold the mess.

Thank you for everyone's reply. I do like that carrier from LL Bean but the metal bucket idea sold me. I need big ones tho as I'm usually loading up larger logs. I keep small kindling in a bucket next to the stove so just lots of big logs. I think the bucket will do the trick. Thank you again for the feedback!

I use rubbermade totes. I have like five of them designated for firewood. I have a rotation. It's not perfect, but it works for me. Then I have a copper tub near the stove.

I had one of those totes from Lowes . . . lasted four or five years.

Just bought the LL
bean tote . . . figured if it does not last at least as long as the Lowes bag I can return it for a replacement.

I use blue recycle bins and stack splits vertically in them. That way all the dirt & crud doesn't collect on the bottom splits and you can grab any split at any time, instead of just what's on top. 2 bins a day usually.
Used to be Rubbermaid bins, but they got brittle in the cold & hand grips would break.

I do like the Ikea bag idea. Would be easier on my back carrying 2 of those per trip vs one recycle bin. May have to try that out...

This one seems like a good idea.

http://www.condar.com/backsaver_fireplace.html

thinking about it for myself

Ok, the name got me to look, but I just don't get it
The load is on the neck, shoulders and extended arms. Don't see how that saves the back.
Loading off the bottom of a stack means you're squatting down until loaded then doing a loaded power squat to stand back up.
Then you get inside & you can't just put it down, so you have to unload one piece at a time (one hand) or try to dump the whole load into another container. <>

Reactions: Ashful
I use blue recycle bins and stack splits vertically in them. That way all the dirt & crud doesn't collect on the bottom splits and you can grab any split at any time, instead of just what's on top. 2 bins a day usually.
Used to be Rubbermaid bins, but they got brittle in the cold & hand grips would break.

I do like the Ikea bag idea. Would be easier on my back carrying 2 of those per trip vs one recycle bin. May have to try that out...
the bag I have is made by Firl Industries http://www.firlindustries.com/ specializing in canvas products to include fire and rescue items among others. Wisconsin based, items made in the good ole USA. I did not see a virtual store front though, so you would have to find outside vendors like plow and hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.