Firewood cart?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sueiris

Oct 10, 2009
Southern NJ

Attachments

• woodchuckwc20.jpg
    woodchuckwc20.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 4,846
hummm those big spoked wheel looks like it would climb stairs pretty good. Sorry to hear about your husbands back...tough break if your a wood burner.

I hope your husbands back gets better soon. I use a similar one from Harbor Freight. I like mine quite a lot. The 20 inch spoke wheels sure do roll over lumps and uneven ground nicely. This was discussed before, but in a nut shell, the HF one is much cheaper. However, the one you picture has solid wheels. Pneumatic tires on the HF unit tend to lose air through the cheap inner tubes. For some reason, I had to refill my tires in only a couple days the first time, but since then, they have hardly lost any. About the steps, the wheels would probably go up the steps OK. I just couldn't "lift" or pull up the amount of weight it can hold up the steps. I stack mine up as high as I can and still get my hands on the handle. Completely full, it is about three days of wood for me the way we burn. Maybe two complete days of burning hard around the clock. I just bring two or three loads up into the garage once a week.

Steve

Sueiris said:
http://carts.cartsvermont.com/product.php?productid=16140

Anyone use a wood cart similar to this one? My husband hurt his back, and I was wondering if this or something similar would be worthwhile.

If this is for him ? Get it Motorized !

If this is for you ? Get a bigger one !

Damm it Girl, Keep him warm !

I'm sure that would work but for half the price, I would by a utility/garden wagon. I doubt you have Menard's there but maybe HD or Lowe's may have them or a local garden or hardware store.

I know the feeling, ie., pain. This is my solution.

Check this link: http://www.northlineexpress.com/category/firewood-carts.asp

This would not work if you have stairs but I have three of the carts in this link called, "Best Seller". Once loaded up, the cart rolls through doors, and can be left by the stove and serves as the wood rack.

I have three carts going all the time, since I use about one cart load per day, the carts get about a two day time to dry and warm.

I have had good experiences with this Northline company.

Hope this helps.

I have one of the HF versions of that cart - which sells for less than half the price - less than a third when it's on sale, which is often... I use it for bringing in firewood in the winter, and moving splits and rounds as needed in the summer. It does go up stairs and obstacles quite well, but it won't help much if you have a bad back as it still takes quite a bit of effort to get the loaded cart up the stairs - however a cart load is a LOT more than one could hand carry...

That said, I have a couple of comments on the HF cart that will help make it last better...

1. The tubes are cheap, and tend to do the slow leak. Don't bother trying to patch them if / when you get a hole in them, as they will just split. Get a pair of replacements at Walmart, or if feeling rich, the local bike shop - much better quality...

2. Before putting the cart in service, pull the tires off the wheels and take them to the local pedal bike shop, get them trued and the spokes tightened - otherwise they can develop a bad wobble and collapse, trashing the wheel - replacements are more expensive than a new cart! (ask how I know...) Also get the spoke heads inside the rims ground, I had several where the spoke was close to poking through, which will do in the tube in a hurry...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
I have one of the HF versions of that cart - which sells for less than half the price - less than a third when it's on sale, which is often... I use it for bringing in firewood in the winter, and moving splits and rounds as needed in the summer. It does go up stairs and obstacles quite well, but it won't help much if you have a bad back as it still takes quite a bit of effort to get the loaded cart up the stairs - however a cart load is a LOT more than one could hand carry...

That said, I have a couple of comments on the HF cart that will help make it last better...

1. The tubes are cheap, and tend to do the slow leak. Don't bother trying to patch them if / when you get a hole in them, as they will just split. Get a pair of replacements at Walmart, or if feeling rich, the local bike shop - much better quality...

2. Before putting the cart in service, pull the tires off the wheels and take them to the local pedal bike shop, get them trued and the spokes tightened - otherwise they can develop a bad wobble and collapse, trashing the wheel - replacements are more expensive than a new cart! (ask how I know...) Also get the spoke heads inside the rims ground, I had several where the spoke was close to poking through, which will do in the tube in a hurry...

Gooserider

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We only have a few stairs in from the garage, fwiw. I didn't know about the HF version, so I'll look into that. We may also try the basket tied to the hand cart trick - time will tell.... :lol:

Cabelas just had their 2 wheeled car on sale at $59. Not sure if they still do or not.

This guy with a bad back likes the 2 wheeled Garden Way type Cart but it would be no good for going up a stairway. I bring the wood to the porch with it, park it right next to the steps and then stack the wood onto the porch. I've used ours for probably 30 years so far.

The best prices I have found on Vermont carts are from Shepnell pool and spa.

Status
Not open for further replies.