Firewood Chop Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get weekly shipments from McMaster to my house. They're the too expensive left hand bit source to which I was originally referring.

i have used an actual electric chop saw with great results.
THats what i have been using for years. THe chain saw thing is way overkill. I use a craftsman 10" chop saw. About wore one out already after 4 years of continuous use. They are so easy to start compared to a chainsaw. spare blades a lot cheaper too.

Last edited:
THats what i have been using for years. THe chain saw thing is way overkill. I use a craftsman 10" chop saw. About wore one out already after 4 years of continuos use. They are so easy to start compared to a chainsaw. spare blades a lot cheaper too.
Maybe for kindling. What do you do with the majority of trunk-sized rounds?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389565839.361303.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First u split em then u chopsaw em:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

First u split em then u chopsaw em:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
I find them hard to split before bucking.

How do you split something like this before moving it to your chop saw?

IMG_0853.jpg

Here's what I bucked in one day last winter... how would you tackle this pile with a chop saw?

20130309_wood.JPG

For scale... that ain't no garden tractor. It's an old Ford 3000 = some big logs to split before chopsawing.

Last edited:
Very nice tool! Now get some angle and make some nice saw horses worthy of your chop saw & chit can those plastic ones!;lol

I find them hard to split before bucking.

How do you split something like this before moving it to your chop saw?

View attachment 123834

Here's what I bucked in one day last winter... how would you tackle this pile with a chop saw?

View attachment 123831

For scale... that ain't no garden tractor. It's an old Ford 3000 = some big logs to split before chopsawing.
I did some like those with a 32 ton Spl ,jammed it a few times too,and yes getting them to the splitter takes 2 guys rolling it. Things must weigh 300lbs
Chop saw is good just for what i use it for,which is getting those 20-25" splits down to stove size ,under 19" .

Used the chop saw like others have mentioned, worked well. My first year burning I cut everything ahead of time to 21" as the stove takes 22" then found this site and learned of the north/south loading instead of east/west and have never gone back to E/W. Cut every stick I had to 14" and love that method of burning.

Reactions: blazincajun
Status
Not open for further replies.