Firewood collecting - in summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
I have been inundated with firewood offers this last week. We have just started summer here in Aus and there aren't many people willing to collect firewood this time of year due to the heat but also due to the fact they don't need it for another 6 months so will get it then sounds familiar, also you dont want it to rot ::-) .

Anyway its a win for me. Just got another load yesterday on my way home from work and it looks like there is another 4 loads worth so ~ 1.5 cords. I was a little sceptical as the owner didn't know what type of wood it was but said it was very very heavy. Filled my little truck with 15 pieces and it was near my weight limit. There was over 900 Kgs (2000 lbs) it was like lifting concrete slabs. Each piece was over 70 Kgs (150 Lbs.)

The wood is a Assie gum called Bluegum it has a density of 977 kg/m3 (61 lb/ft3) this is premium wood not sure how this would compare to American hardwood but Hickory is 'only' 830 kg/M3 (52 lb/ft3.)

I got it home and split a little, it split like a dream a couple of whacks with the Fiskars. I did find some interesting 'stuff' in the middle of a couple of splits see the pics. I have seen this a few time before but not as wet as this - does anyone know what it is?

CAM00089.jpgCAM00090.jpgCAM00091.jpgCAM00092.jpg

Attachments

• CAM00089.jpg
    CAM00089.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 101
  • CAM00090.jpg
    CAM00090.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 112
  • CAM00091.jpg
    CAM00091.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 101
  • CAM00092.jpg
    CAM00092.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 110
No idea what it is.
Looks like a mixture of bug crap, dust, tree sap & water
Might not burn but might be a great "mud past for a new facial cream for youthful skin" :eek: LOL :)

Maybe a weeping cherry or some form of box elder? Not sure to be honest !

Pete

a fungus?

No idea on the wood. Good work though. Nothing like free BTUs. Hey. What kind of winters you get there Auzzie?

No idea on the wood. Good work though. Nothing like free BTUs. Hey. What kind of winters you get there Auzzie?
Where we are it gets quite cold - but nowhere near what you guys get. It does go below freezing a couple of days a year but only at night. Day time temps are in the 40's. This will be my first season of burning i hope the wood i have collected will be dry enough as i want to burn 24/7 for a couple of months (July and August) if i can. We even get a little snow but not much.
ranges pic.jpg

Doesn't Australia have all kinds of poisonous nasties in the woods? What kind of critters can you run into?

Not much actually - we do have 9 of the top 10 poisonous snakes though :eek: but i have been here 8 years and only seen 2. We don't get many as its too high and cold for them.

We also have quite a few spiders which could potentially kill you, but more likely you will loose a toe or something. Just make sure you check your boots before you put them on......

The most dangerous animals are in the sea - the box jelly fish. They can close beaches down pretty quick.

No idea what it is.
Looks like a mixture of bug crap, dust, tree sap & water
Might not burn but might be a great "mud past for a new facial cream for youthful skin" :eek: LOL :)
Pretty sure that was a squirrel.

Now that is some hard looking wood. I think if, I tried to split that myself, my axe would bounce off it.

I have been inundated with firewood offers this last week. We have just started summer here in Aus and there aren't many people willing to collect firewood this time of year due to the heat but also due to the fact they don't need it for another 6 months so will get it then sounds familiar, also you dont want it to rot ::-) .

Anyway its a win for me. Just got another load yesterday on my way home from work and it looks like there is another 4 loads worth so ~ 1.5 cords. I was a little sceptical as the owner didn't know what type of wood it was but said it was very very heavy. Filled my little truck with 15 pieces and it was near my weight limit. There was over 900 Kgs (2000 lbs) it was like lifting concrete slabs. Each piece was over 70 Kgs (150 Lbs.)

The wood is a Assie gum called Bluegum it has a density of 977 kg/m3 (61 lb/ft3) this is premium wood not sure how this would compare to American hardwood but Hickory is 'only' 830 kg/M3 (52 lb/ft3.)

I got it home and split a little, it split like a dream a couple of whacks with the Fiskars. I did find some interesting 'stuff' in the middle of a couple of splits see the pics. I have seen this a few time before but not as wet as this - does anyone know what it is?

View attachment 84583View attachment 84584View attachment 84585View attachment 84586
Except for the nasty bits, this wood looks like it has nice straight grain and would be easy to split. I would be happy to have some, but the transportation costs would be prohibitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.